-
Linux on windows
Does anybody know of a version of linux that installs in winows, and that doesn't require partitioning. I would like to be able to have an icon in windows that will cause a boot into linux. I want to make sure that it will not destroy my windows install, and doesn't install a bootloader, because I have roommates that depend on windows.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you want to run linux alongside windows, colinux is a nice, free solution. The easiest way to try it is probably via the Japanese Knoppix, which allows you to start a knoppix image under colinux control (under windows). Commercial virtual PC products (VM-ware or MS offering), can run several OS's together. An then if you are happy to run just linux, but simply would rather avoid partitioning, the so-called poor man install (PMI) is well documented on this site.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Linux on windows

Originally Posted by
adamherb
because I have roommates that depend on windows.
They don't set their hopes very high do they?
Well hopefully you can convert them!
While I have not used colinux I have read a great many things about it. Also you may be intertested in cygwin
# Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of two parts: A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation layer providing substantial Linux API functionality.
# A collection of tools, which provide Linux look and feel.
-
In your opinion, which is better CoLinux or Win Linux. Does anyone know the differences? I would like to know how risky these things are.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well one thing to consider is
Your computer must have, at least the following configuration to run WinLinux 2003.
/snip/
- Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Millennium. Note that Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are not supported by WinLinux 2003 yet.
That might rule WinLinux out right there. Secondly, how badly do you want this? Are you willing to read the documentation or are you going to be a typical windows user, expect to click three times and have instant Linux then get disappointed becuse it doesn't work?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Perhaps your best bet is cygwin, as mzilikazi suggested. It is used a the local college to provide Linux/unix type OS in an essentially windows environment. It work's quite well. I have it on my machine at work, a relatively button down envorinment, to give me access to GNU/Unix/Linux tools and compilers without having to reboot or invest in VMware.
I have Slackware on a partition on my machine, but the boot and reboot to get back to Windows require enough time to preclude quick excursions into a real O/S.
-
I dont really want to use it that bad. I would be more of a 3 click person. I think I will go with that, because I have Windows XP!
Similar Threads
-
By chris-harry in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-25-2005, 03:56 PM
-
By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-13-2004, 06:25 PM
-
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-29-2004, 08:02 AM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By javiergarza4 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

AYANEO AM01 AMD Ryzen 7 5800U Gaming Mini PC Retro Classic DP DDR4 32GB 1Tb
$400.00

2TB 4TB 16TB Portable SSD Type-C External Hard Drive High Speed USB 3.1 Laptop
$18.99