Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Remaster Knoppix with atmel Driver Support

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    Remaster Knoppix with atmel Driver Support

    Hi folks!

    I got a rather strange problem (like all guys remastering the almost perfect Knoppix CD must have).
    I got a notebook without HDD. So it's kind of worthless to me right now.
    So i had the idea to use it as a surf station with my WLAN usb card ( SMC W2662W ).
    I tried to get it working with Knoppix 3.6 but it won't do.
    So i tried with an knoppix installed on another computer on hdd to get the Card working.
    The CSV release of the atmel driver finally worked and i hoped i could just copy the compiled module onto an usb stick and load it after knoppix rebooted, but that didn't work.
    He loads the module but doesn't create a wlan device and - of course - the tools are missing.
    So i remastered a Knoppix CD with properly installed drivers, but after booting it just hangs on the usb syncing.
    When booting without the Card everything works fine, but after plugging in the card i see for a short moment that the <right> module is loaded but afterwards the kernel freezes.

    I compiled the atmel driver by downloading the 2.4.27 source, "make oldconfig" after i copied the .config file into the source directory.
    Is there any way to get this card running under knoppix?
    I see no options 8[

    Is there any way to compile the drivers on a running knoppix?!
    Anyone ever tried something like that?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    Oh Lol.
    I just left my computer running like 30 Minutes and now the card works,
    kernel is unfreezed.

    Just amazing.
    Never thought it could work anyway

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    How did you manage to get the CVS release to work?
    I downloaded the CVS release for my at76c503a wireless usb adapter, but can't get the CVS release to make anything.

    I installed knoppix 3.6 on my laptop and use the 2.6.7. kernel, but the link /lib/modules/2.6.7/build points to a non-existing directory (/usr/src/linux-2.6.7) so 'make' gives an ugly listing and returns with errors. I guess the kernel source is not there (?).

    Any tips?
    (when I load the 2.4.x kernel, my mousepad freezes, so I'm using kernel 2.6.7 till futher notice...)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    If you'd like an easier way of getting atmel cards to work try Kanotix. It already has the atmel drivers.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6
    Unfortunately, I found that one still needs to do a manual configuration even with Kanotix. I hope that soon one will be able to boot and go without any further trouble.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by reagle
    Unfortunately, I found that one still needs to do a manual configuration even with Kanotix. I hope that soon one will be able to boot and go without any further trouble.
    Hmm let's see....building drivers then remastering a live cd or having to configure Kanotix. Methinks Kanotix is alot easier. What exactly does 'configuring' your card involve?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    I installed Kanotix instead of Knoppix and the wireless adapter is now up and running.

    Thanks for the tip!

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    16
    So how do one remaster with atmel support? I have tried Kanotix and love it!!!
    My MA101 USB wifi works!!! Finally!!
    But I have other favourites customised knoppix distributions that I would love to have the same atmel drivers support. eg the auditor ...

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by stars
    So how do one remaster with atmel support? I have tried Kanotix and love it!!!
    My MA101 USB wifi works!!! Finally!!
    But I have other favourites customised knoppix distributions that I would love to have the same atmel drivers support. eg the auditor ...
    Why not remaster Kanotix instead of trying to add something to Knoppix? It uses squashfs instead of cloop is the only difference from a remastering point of view. You will find that squashfs compresses much faster than cloop as well.

Similar Threads

  1. The Radeon driver does not support current cards
    By Duncan Macdonald in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
  2. Linksys WUSB V2.8 (Atmel) using Knoppix 3.4 with 2.6 kernel?
    By ewanrg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 06:47 PM
  3. Please help, Atmel VNet Wireless USB 802.11
    By dave52355 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 04:17 PM
  4. Remaster with 2.6 kernel NTFS write support?
    By chaz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 07:08 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$699.99



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D picture

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D

$219.99



One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit

$44.99



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99



IBM 7070 Reference Manual A22-7003-2 Aug 1960 Mainframe Computer Annotated picture

IBM 7070 Reference Manual A22-7003-2 Aug 1960 Mainframe Computer Annotated

$84.99