Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Which version should I use?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    72

    Which version should I use?

    I was going to install linux to my hard drive, and I wansnt sure which of the versions to use. I want it to be in a dual boot with Windows XP. I would be using Linux as a secondary OS, because I am not really good at any scripting.
    I was thinking that Maybe I would download SuSE Professional of the internet. Which do you think I should use? Thanks for any help!

    I was also looking at Gentoo. Is there anything special about that distro, or is it just normal. Do you also know If there is any live Gentoo CD or DVD!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    This isn't really knoppix related. But, I personally like debain. Though I hear Suse is a little more friendly for the newbie.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    Debian, Slackware, Suse, Mandrake, Fedora and linspire are all working solutions (along with a few hundred more).
    of these Debian and Slackware are not as "beginner friendly" as Suse, Mandrake and Fedora are.
    In my opinion they (Debian and Slackware) are more stable and less of a struggle to get working well, this is because they folow the "normal" ways, as oposed to some odd one.
    this means if you folow a readme or howto you have a larger probability that things work first try.
    all of them listed above will work but my view is that Fedora is so "friendly" that it requires skill to get it going "right", Suse and Mandrake little less so.
    otoh this is only aparent if you try to dive little deeper into the system, if you aim for a desktoip with little else that surfing, mail and office work in mind they will be as good or perhaps better

Similar Threads

  1. Re. Ark Un-rar in Version 4 DVD??
    By Bob White in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 11:01 PM
  2. maximum version / lite version??
    By freeballer in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 10:51 PM
  3. Version 4 in '05?
    By paunchy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2004, 12:36 AM
  4. 3.4 Kernel Version, and Driver Version
    By Kowood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 12:25 AM
  5. Poor Man's Install Not Working in version 7-26 version
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 01:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$236.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99