Possibly some daily crontab job (e.g. updatedb)?
I'm all for giving people, and even machines, a rest. But for some reason, my HDD installed Knoppix 3.6 is exhibiting some odd behaviour if it's left on for long periods of time. What happens is that the machine eventually blanks the screen after about 30 minutes of inactivity, and works fine if I move the mouse or hit the keyboard to wake it up. Even leaving it this way over night is not a problem.
But after about 24 hours of operation, something kicks up on the machine that eats CPU and has the HD going crazy to the point where it's almost impossible to even shut the machine down without unplugging it or holding the power key for several seconds. Because it is so non-responsive in this state, I can't even get a ps -ef to give me a result in a terminal session I left open.
I normally use the XFCE desktop that comes with this version of the distribution, and I'm wondering if that might be having some wierd interaction with some power setting or KDE setting or...
Any ideas?
Possibly some daily crontab job (e.g. updatedb)?
Are there daily cron jobs setup by default?
Regardless, I suppose that would be a good place to start looking. Thanks for the idea!

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99