Possibly some daily crontab job (e.g. updatedb)?
I'm all for giving people, and even machines, a rest. But for some reason, my HDD installed Knoppix 3.6 is exhibiting some odd behaviour if it's left on for long periods of time. What happens is that the machine eventually blanks the screen after about 30 minutes of inactivity, and works fine if I move the mouse or hit the keyboard to wake it up. Even leaving it this way over night is not a problem.
But after about 24 hours of operation, something kicks up on the machine that eats CPU and has the HD going crazy to the point where it's almost impossible to even shut the machine down without unplugging it or holding the power key for several seconds. Because it is so non-responsive in this state, I can't even get a ps -ef to give me a result in a terminal session I left open.
I normally use the XFCE desktop that comes with this version of the distribution, and I'm wondering if that might be having some wierd interaction with some power setting or KDE setting or...
Any ideas?
Possibly some daily crontab job (e.g. updatedb)?
Are there daily cron jobs setup by default?
Regardless, I suppose that would be a good place to start looking. Thanks for the idea!

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$1444.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe
$284.99
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99