-
Cannot start application from desktop (hdd-install)
Hi
I have installed knoppix to my laptop. I have downloaded and installed several programms like firefox and thunderbird. They do start perfectly, if I start them from the console. When I use a link on the desktop, nothing happens. It's a matter of rights. I have set all rights to 777 without any result. Where are 'hidden' rights, that I have not run across yet, that prevent the start. Same if I want to make a link to for example 'mc'. If I right-klick a programm in the menu and move it to the desktop, I can start it without problems.
Any hints
Juergen
-
Senior Member
registered user
How are you making the Desktop links?
I have just tried creating a link by the simplest possible method: Rt click on the desktop, select Createnew->File->Link to application, select 'application' type in name of executable (I just used 'kcontrol' as a test) & close. Icon is still the default gear but click it & up pops control center.
For mc you have to go to advanced options & select 'run in terminal'.
Mozilla worked also.
All of the links were owned by user knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could also try making a symbolic link on the desktop
cp -s /usr/bin/program /home/user/desktop/program-shourtcut
Similar Threads
-
By zoukgirl in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 01:01 AM
-
By irsirius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 07:00 PM
-
By eric2 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-27-2004, 11:54 PM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-19-2003, 08:38 PM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage 1988 APPLE MACINTOSH “3 Stooges” 512K Romsimm AP1127-02 VERY RARE
$399.00

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video
$225.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Quadra 950 w/ Key - (FOR PARTS)
$199.90

Vintage Apple Computer Promotional EMPTY CASE Shoe Shine Box Gadget Storage Rare
$59.99

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X
$170.00

Rare Vintage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Mouse Pad Sticker Back Deadstock NOS
$89.99

vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New
$59.00

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00

Rare Vintage Apple Computer Promo Set Rainbow Logo Towel Polo Shirt Report Pad
$199.99

Apple Apple IIe Vintage Home Computer System Model Apple IIe
$225.00