Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cannot start application from desktop (hdd-install)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5

    Cannot start application from desktop (hdd-install)

    Hi

    I have installed knoppix to my laptop. I have downloaded and installed several programms like firefox and thunderbird. They do start perfectly, if I start them from the console. When I use a link on the desktop, nothing happens. It's a matter of rights. I have set all rights to 777 without any result. Where are 'hidden' rights, that I have not run across yet, that prevent the start. Same if I want to make a link to for example 'mc'. If I right-klick a programm in the menu and move it to the desktop, I can start it without problems.

    Any hints

    Juergen

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    How are you making the Desktop links?
    I have just tried creating a link by the simplest possible method: Rt click on the desktop, select Createnew->File->Link to application, select 'application' type in name of executable (I just used 'kcontrol' as a test) & close. Icon is still the default gear but click it & up pops control center.
    For mc you have to go to advanced options & select 'run in terminal'.
    Mozilla worked also.
    All of the links were owned by user knoppix.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You could also try making a symbolic link on the desktop


    cp -s /usr/bin/program /home/user/desktop/program-shourtcut

Similar Threads

  1. Why does my knoppix start up as debian desktop????
    By zoukgirl in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 01:01 AM
  2. start single application
    By irsirius in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 07:00 PM
  3. Very slow to open a new window or start an application
    By eric2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 11:54 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 08:38 PM
  5. How can I start the KDE desktop after "KNOPPIX 2"
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$14.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065 picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065

$125.00



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor

$259.99



HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P picture

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P

$319.99



GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4 picture

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4

$229.95