Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cannot start application from desktop (hdd-install)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5

    Cannot start application from desktop (hdd-install)

    Hi

    I have installed knoppix to my laptop. I have downloaded and installed several programms like firefox and thunderbird. They do start perfectly, if I start them from the console. When I use a link on the desktop, nothing happens. It's a matter of rights. I have set all rights to 777 without any result. Where are 'hidden' rights, that I have not run across yet, that prevent the start. Same if I want to make a link to for example 'mc'. If I right-klick a programm in the menu and move it to the desktop, I can start it without problems.

    Any hints

    Juergen

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    How are you making the Desktop links?
    I have just tried creating a link by the simplest possible method: Rt click on the desktop, select Createnew->File->Link to application, select 'application' type in name of executable (I just used 'kcontrol' as a test) & close. Icon is still the default gear but click it & up pops control center.
    For mc you have to go to advanced options & select 'run in terminal'.
    Mozilla worked also.
    All of the links were owned by user knoppix.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You could also try making a symbolic link on the desktop


    cp -s /usr/bin/program /home/user/desktop/program-shourtcut

Similar Threads

  1. Why does my knoppix start up as debian desktop????
    By zoukgirl in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 01:01 AM
  2. start single application
    By irsirius in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 07:00 PM
  3. Very slow to open a new window or start an application
    By eric2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 11:54 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 08:38 PM
  5. How can I start the KDE desktop after "KNOPPIX 2"
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 08:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot Of 180 Hynix 64gb PC4-2933Y 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC RDIMM Server HMAA8GR7AJR4N-WM picture

Lot Of 180 Hynix 64gb PC4-2933Y 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC RDIMM Server HMAA8GR7AJR4N-WM

$95000.00



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF picture

SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF

$57.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11 ECC REG Server Memory HP24D4R7D4MAM-32 picture

Kingston 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11 ECC REG Server Memory HP24D4R7D4MAM-32

$140.00



M321R8GA0BB0-CQK SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC5-4800B MEMORY picture

M321R8GA0BB0-CQK SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 2RX4 PC5-4800B MEMORY

$1690.00



Lot of 33 Server RAM – Fully Tested (17x 8GB + 16x 2GB) 168GB Total DDR3 ECC picture

Lot of 33 Server RAM – Fully Tested (17x 8GB + 16x 2GB) 168GB Total DDR3 ECC

$210.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50