-
Cannot start application from desktop (hdd-install)
Hi
I have installed knoppix to my laptop. I have downloaded and installed several programms like firefox and thunderbird. They do start perfectly, if I start them from the console. When I use a link on the desktop, nothing happens. It's a matter of rights. I have set all rights to 777 without any result. Where are 'hidden' rights, that I have not run across yet, that prevent the start. Same if I want to make a link to for example 'mc'. If I right-klick a programm in the menu and move it to the desktop, I can start it without problems.
Any hints
Juergen
-
Senior Member
registered user
How are you making the Desktop links?
I have just tried creating a link by the simplest possible method: Rt click on the desktop, select Createnew->File->Link to application, select 'application' type in name of executable (I just used 'kcontrol' as a test) & close. Icon is still the default gear but click it & up pops control center.
For mc you have to go to advanced options & select 'run in terminal'.
Mozilla worked also.
All of the links were owned by user knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could also try making a symbolic link on the desktop
cp -s /usr/bin/program /home/user/desktop/program-shourtcut
Similar Threads
-
By zoukgirl in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 01:01 AM
-
By irsirius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 07:00 PM
-
By eric2 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-27-2004, 11:54 PM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-19-2003, 08:38 PM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Yealink MP58 Cordless VoIP Conference Phone Bluetooth Handset Microsoft Teams
$105.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW
$399.99

Yealink SIP-T46U Black Unified Firmware Enhanced SIP Phone - VoIP phone used
$59.99

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99