-
Cannot start application from desktop (hdd-install)
Hi
I have installed knoppix to my laptop. I have downloaded and installed several programms like firefox and thunderbird. They do start perfectly, if I start them from the console. When I use a link on the desktop, nothing happens. It's a matter of rights. I have set all rights to 777 without any result. Where are 'hidden' rights, that I have not run across yet, that prevent the start. Same if I want to make a link to for example 'mc'. If I right-klick a programm in the menu and move it to the desktop, I can start it without problems.
Any hints
Juergen
-
Senior Member
registered user
How are you making the Desktop links?
I have just tried creating a link by the simplest possible method: Rt click on the desktop, select Createnew->File->Link to application, select 'application' type in name of executable (I just used 'kcontrol' as a test) & close. Icon is still the default gear but click it & up pops control center.
For mc you have to go to advanced options & select 'run in terminal'.
Mozilla worked also.
All of the links were owned by user knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could also try making a symbolic link on the desktop
cp -s /usr/bin/program /home/user/desktop/program-shourtcut
Similar Threads
-
By zoukgirl in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 01:01 AM
-
By irsirius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 07:00 PM
-
By eric2 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-27-2004, 11:54 PM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-19-2003, 08:38 PM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested
$149.99

Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ
$270.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari
$129.99

Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR**
$89.99

atari 400 Upgraded 48k board & mpp-1100 working & Power Supply
$109.65

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U
$159.99

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00