Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to optimize my Hard Drive under Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4

    How to optimize my Hard Drive under Knoppix?

    I am a neophyte to Linux who recently successfully did a hard drive install of Knoppix 3.4 on my old computer after wiping off all evidence of Windows. Now I am trying to optimize my hard drives. As root, I can successfully execute commands like “hdparm –X66 –d1 –u1 –m16 –c3 /dev/hda”, but of course they are gone when I reboot. I have tried appending that line to /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh" and rebooting, but this was unsuccessful in that the hard drive settings were still unchanged.

    This all may be related to the fact that I had to initially install Knoppix using the cheatcode “nodma” because my CD ROM doesn’t support DMA. So now as it boots up I get a message something like “Skipping DMA acceleration as requested by command boot line.” Any suggestions on how to proceed to get my hard drives automatically optimized will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You could try:
    1) create a script and place it in /etc/init.d and create a symlink to that script using : update-rc.d scriptname defaults
    or
    2) add your line in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks. Create one if it isn't there.


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    If you want to remove the 'nodma' startup code, just remove it from the append line in /etc/lilo.conf & rerun lilo.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4
    Removing the "nodma" command seems to be all it took. Now it is working much better. Thank you. :)

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    lyonh,

    I have a similar, but in reverse, problem as in your case. I have found that the nodma cheatcode, either in the Live CD, or after I installed v3.4 onto my hard drive, the append= line... I have been using the experimental 2.6.6 kernel, though...

    I have two hard drives, a CD-RW, and a DVD device, as peripherals - my second hard drive is the concern, it cant handle DMA, whereas, all the other devices, can... The nodma has never worked, and I had to resolve the issue by adding hdparm commands for all the devices into the bottom of my bootmisc.sh file - to ensure that dma is being set to what I need... i.e. hdparm commands for "setting" dma on all devices, except the second hard drive, and then a hdparm command for disabling the dma on the second hard drive.

    From what I can tell, with the 2.6.6 kernel, some cheatcodes, or the append= codes, dont have any effect, while certain ones do. Appears that "tweaking" your system with the 2.6.6 kernel, is not as important as it was in previous releases, I guess, evident by the inability to alter options on the boot, as in previous. Or, these options were added so quickly into the 2.6.6 kernel, that "back-end" code was not inculded to use them yet, I dont know...

    Oh well, glad you got it working

Similar Threads

  1. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  2. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  3. Use apt-build to optimize for architecture
    By arkaine23 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 08:58 PM
  4. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  5. knoppix & USB hard drive
    By knoxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99