Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: ms NIC

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7

    ms NIC

    Well i live in a small town where there is only an office max and the only NIC they carry is Microsoft MN-130. It sucks, i have read that these chips normally are supported but microsoft twiested the in out valuse or something. Could some one give me a very detailed tutorial on this. I apreciate the hellp again i want to use knoppix.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: ms NIC

    Quote Originally Posted by rise
    ..... the only NIC they carry is Microsoft .....
    I've documented in a couple of threads a major problem I have where my laptop NIC, that did work with Knoppix just fine, stopped working right after I installed a Microsoft security update. Obviously I think the two items are related. You can read the details here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
    and here
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
    Others have seen this problem too.

    That said, if Microsoft is gong out of their way to make sure other NICs don't work with Linux (and only some versions of Linux are affected), then I certainly expect they would do the same thing to their own NICs. So it wouldn't surprise me that a Microsoft NIC, even one made with a "standard" chip, might not work with Knoppix.

    You might try some of the cheat codes given in the other threads, or the reset and netcardconfig trick (also documented there) that I used.

    Still, I wouldn't be schocked if you had more than your share pf problems with network hardware from Microsoft when trying to use Linux. I know OfficeMax often stocks both Belkin and Dlink NICs, I've gotten both free after rebate (although no free ones recently). [Dlink, by the way, deals with their rebate fairly, Belkin can be a fight to get paid.] You might keep an eye open for either at OfficeMax. You can also get NICs very inexpensively mail order, even with shipping (usually less than at OfficeMax when they are not free). An alternative NIC would be my first choice.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7
    Well, i kept doing my research and came up with this, but i was not sure if knoppix had tulips installed could you help me with this?

    linuxquestions.org:Uses the prism 2 chipset, or maybe just prism, but either way its a standard (to myknowledge) chipset found on linksys cards. So under normal circumstances you should be able to use the tulip module to get this to work. But of course microsoft had to go in and put in their 2 cents and screw it up for everyone. Apparently the I/O address built onto the card was changed so you have to rewrite the tulip module manually in order to get it to work. To begin insert the following line at line 201 (its a function I beleive) of the tulip module source code (tulip_core.c)
    " {0x1414, 0x0002, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, COMET}, "
    save and do the following commands.
    cd /usr/src/linux**** #(**** = kernel number)
    make dep
    make modules
    make modules_install
    do a restart and everything should be ok
    right now I'm using mine in slackware so I know it works.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95