Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: ANNOUNCE: Knoppix Persistent Home 0.4 released

  1. #31
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85

    Breaking News: Knoppix 3.2 presentated at CeBIT with KPH

    Breaking News: Knoppix . (3.2) presentated at CeBIT with KPH

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4536
    Jippieee.....yeah!
    rob

  2. #32
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    The sixty thousand dollar question: When will it hit the mirrors?

    Edit: ... in eleven days I just heard. Plenty of time to solidify my Libernet-Debian HD install or get Gentoo installed.

    Even so, there'll always be a Knoppix CD nearby my computer.

  3. #33
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    11 days?

    11 days? ELEVEN DAYS?!?! ***E*L*E*V*E*N D*A*Y*S?!?!??!?!***

    HUH!?!?! I was 'jonesing' only having to wait until the morning!!! (when I thought it would be there)

    Why 11 days?!?

    That is, (as they say in the movie "The Sandlot") F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!!!

    11 days in internet time is like 6,530 dog years.

    What gives?

    Gimme 3.2!

  4. #34
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    61

    Will it be in 3.2

    will persistant home be in 3.2?

    I'm not anywhere near good enough to set this upon my own yet--Love to, but let's be realistic...

    Could a CD be set up to check several different things? I can think of lots of options right now. It's important to get rid of the need for floppies though. An extra thing to need is too much. An external USB HD would be killer for moble people! You could boot from the CD and carry everything with you. As long as the HD could track which computers it was on (there are some privacy concerns, but at last a real use for a processor serial number!) or let Knoppix autodetect as much as possible. You could even keep seperate network setting, screens, whole work environments. Plug in at home for projects, work set up for high-power coding, and buddies ready-to-go for gaming! The computer would be ambiguous only your data would matter!

    I like the network storage opions too. Perhaps they could add real login support. That would be needed in most corps and would allow Knoppix to find your stuff on boot accross the network. From any PC in the company! I know servers normally handle this stuff, it would make networks wickedly easy to set up properly and securely.

  5. #35
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85

    Re: Will it be in 3.2

    [quote="mabhatter"]will persistant home be in 3.2?

    Yes it is anounced, see: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    "Possibility to create a persistent homedir with personal data and desktop settings on a memory stick or similar, optional with AES encryption."


    A PersitantHomeHowTo would be cool. Will someone of you ( audioaficionado ? ) start to write it?
    See at the HowTos http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HomePage
    PersitentHomeHowTo is still unwritten

    So please explain us how to use this genius script...
    rob

  6. #36
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85

    Has found a howto - please help

    Hey Guys, I had asked you to write about the HowTo, because
    I haven't used PersistentHome yet. Inbetween I found a German
    text
    "http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/Knoppix Persistent Home"
    attetention, it has blanks in its name.
    This document seems to be written by the author of the Persitent Home
    and I haven't found a link to it. (Only by history).

    But I was so motivated to start the translation. Would you like
    to read this text?
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...stentHomeHowTo

    If you think this isn't yet a text for publicity, you can remove the
    link form http://www.knoppix.net/docs/

    Good night,
    rob

  7. #37
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    I hope the newest knx3.2 will have the updated scripts or you might not even be able to write to the HD. See this thread.

    The KDE3.1 edaz did had the older versions and I can't write to my HD either. In my 12-12-2002 knx3.1 I can write and edit most of my HD because the scripts are absent. I burned a copy of 3.1 with the fixed PH and I could write to the HD too and create a PH file on the HD. I just haven't been able to get it to pick up the saved prior session configs and pick up where I left off.

  8. #38
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    It's all good now with the newest v3.2 from cebit.

    Once you've done all the cheatcodes to get in in English, wheelmouse, working xserver, etc and then tweaked it for several hours, save the configs through the k-menu/knoppix options and next time you boot it will sit there and wait for you to hit enter or F2 before it proceeds to boot. I discovered you can enter the cheat codes right in the intial boot screen if you've memorized them and it will load them from there. All you have to do to get back to where you left off is type knoppix myconfig=scan and you will be back just like a HD installation.

    Fantastic work and thanx to Klaus.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent /home not working
    By dargaud in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 07:21 PM
  2. Create a persistent Knoppix home directory?
    By spydie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
  3. Problem with a Persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM
  4. Newbie: Knoppix 3.2 and persistent home
    By dboffin in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 07:20 PM
  5. Regarding Knoppix Persistent Home 0.2
    By Phredd in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 02:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


14

14" Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 2i Core I7-1165G7 16GB 256GGB WCam W11 Cord

$230.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6

Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"

$200.00



Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14

Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI

$249.99