Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5

    Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter

    Has anyone been able to get a Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter to work in Knoppix?

    I used a Knoppix CD for the first time yesterday. Knoppix recongized all of my hardware except for my wireless card. I have a wireless network using WEP. If anyone has gotten this to work or has some suggestions of what might work please let me know what steps I should take?

    I also have a Netgear USB phoneline home network adapter (I think the model is PA101) that I could use also, if someone can give me some advice on how to get that working?

    This is my first experience with Linux, so I would need step by step instruction.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62

    Re: Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by trylinux
    Has anyone been able to get a Linksys WPC11 ver. 4 Wireless Notebook Adapter to work in Knoppix?

    I used a Knoppix CD for the first time yesterday. Knoppix recongized all of my hardware except for my wireless card. I have a wireless network using WEP. If anyone has gotten this to work or has some suggestions of what might work please let me know what steps I should take?

    I also have a Netgear USB phoneline home network adapter (I think the model is PA101) that I could use also, if someone can give me some advice on how to get that working?

    This is my first experience with Linux, so I would need step by step instruction.

    Thanks.
    Hello,

    I haven't got the card to work, but I think I can help, although I have only been playing with Linux for a month or so, hence I am really new too.

    Indeed, the only thing I have some experience of is getting wireless networking working.

    First, a quick google found this site: http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/resources/howtos/linksysv4/

    Which gives instructions in Linux Geek about how to get your card working. As I understand it, the recommended packages (apart from the driver) are part of the Knoppix 3.6 distribution, although I am not sure of the top of my head which gcc package it is.

    The only problem, I guess, is that you are playing with the live CD, and have not installed Knoppix on to hard drive yet; I have not either ... And probably given your comments above, you don't understand Linux Geek.

    Again I guess, that it is not particularly feasible to use the above instructions, even if you could follow them to get your card going.

    The other option is to use the Windows drivers that came with your card and ndiswrapper.

    Ndiswrapper is a program that allows Knoppix to use windows wireless networking drivers under Linux. It works quite well too: I have managed to get a couple of Belkin cards working which uses the Broadcom chipset.

    There are detailed instructions on how I did it with my Belkin cards on the sticky post Success with Knoppix 3.6 and Wireless Networking, which you could probably adapt.

    In a nutshell, what you need to do is:
    1. Create a top level directory e.g. C:\Linksys in windows and copy the relevant Winbdows *.inf files (and perhaps the .sys files too).

    2. Mount your hard-drive by clicking on the relevant icon on the desktop.

    3. Run the ndiswrapper configuration script found in the Knoppix menu bar (the Penguin) under the Networking/Internet submenu. [Just follow the instructions]

    4. Run the Networkcard configuration script found in the same location.

    That said detailed instructions are in the post. They are aimed at the unexperienced user; written by an unexperienced user.

    HTH

    Any further queries, I am happy to try and assist. (People here have been helpful to me in the past, so I feel a duty to reciprocate )

    Regards,

    Grant D. Vallance

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5
    I tried adding the driver to ndiswrapper, but I got the following message:
    "The ndiswrapper module has been loaded but there is no new device. Perhaps NdisWrapper is not working with your file."


    I don't know if there is anything else I should try?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    I don't know which driver you tried to install into ndiswrapper but you ought to checkout
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/List
    Card: Linksys WPC11 v4
    Chipset: Realtek RTL8180L
    pciid: 1186:3300
    Driver: Don't use driver that ships with card. Use driver for RTL8180L from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...x?Keyword=8180
    Other: See D-Link DWL-510 (the pci-id part). Works fine with 2.6 kernel and ndiswrapper 0.8.
    You might also want to look at
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FAQ
    I had to try several different .inf files before finding one that worked with my broadcom.
    I'd try the one off ndiswrapper's page(above) first.
    If it still doesn't work,copy the driver folder to /home/knoppix
    Open a terminal
    su <enter>
    ndiswrapper -i driverfolder/your.inf
    This will manually install the driver.
    Good Luck

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the advice. I downloaded the driver you referenced and tried to manually install it using ndiswrapper, but I keep getting the following message:

    I Typed:
    "ndiswrapper -i /home/knoppix/net8180.inf"

    I got this message:
    Exporter/Heavy.pm did not return a true value at /usr/share/perl/5.8/Exporter.pm line 17.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 18.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 05:17 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
  3. WPC54G Linksys wireless-g notebook adapter
    By sniper in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2004, 06:02 AM
  4. linksys wireless B adapter WUSB11 v2.8
    By jiante in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:40 AM
  5. Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
    By jeff_20_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 03:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX picture

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX

$14.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Western Digital 2TB WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 3.5

Western Digital 2TB WD20EFRX-68EUZN0 3.5" SATA Red NAS Hard Disk Drive

$69.99