Hmmm, after doing a bit more research, the multiport wireless adapter in the Evo is a USB wireless adapter. It is recognized enough to be able to run the Wavelan Configuration, it just never actually gets enabled.
Any ideas?
Tim
I've just tried the latest 3.2 cd hoping that the changed wireless support would work with my Compaq Evo. No such luck. It uses a Prism2 based chip. Are there any plans on including more wireless drivers on the base cd? Is there an easy way to add new drivers (on floppy or cd directory) without remastering the whole cd?
Tim
Hmmm, after doing a bit more research, the multiport wireless adapter in the Evo is a USB wireless adapter. It is recognized enough to be able to run the Wavelan Configuration, it just never actually gets enabled.
Any ideas?
Tim
To use my Prism2-baseed USB wireless adapter (Siemens SpeedStream), I did the following:
in /etc/networking/interfaces:
Then I use the following commands to connect:Code:iface wlan0 inet dhcp
Of course you have to use your own SSID. Hope this works for you.Code:wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=SpeedStream authtype=opensystem ifup wlan0 pump -i wlan0
Probono wrote:
Thank you! I am not the original poster, but this answers a major question of mine as well.Then I use the following commands to connect:
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=[...removed...] authtype=opensystem
ifup wlan0
pump -i wlan0
Next question....(warning: massive display of ignorance ahead!)
How can I get these commands to execute automatically on startup?
I get an error on the first command something aboutOriginally Posted by probono
hfa384x_docmd: ctlx failure=REQ_TIMEOUT
hfa384x_drvr_start: cmd_intialiize() failed, result = -5
Any thoughts on what i could try?
Kris wrote:
The README in file:/usr/share/doc/linux-wlan-ng, suggests preceding the above commands with this one:I get an error on the first command something about
hfa384x_docmd: ctlx failure=REQ_TIMEOUT
hfa384x_drvr_start: cmd_intialiize() failed, result = -5
Any thoughts on what i could try?
Run 'modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1' to load the driver into memory.
If you have a HD install, you could simply put the commands into a file "wireless.sh" which you make executable (chmod 777 wireless.sh) and put it in your KDE autostart folder (~/.kde/Autostart).Originally Posted by Knewbie
(This is the quick hack, the "real" thing would be to write a start script inside /etc/init.d and set links to /etc/rc...)
If you run from CD, you simply include the commands in your knoppix.sh file that gets executed on every start.
Hi all. I have been following this conversation since I joined. When I try to do this with my box, I get an error "wlanctl-ng: error no such device". Any help?
Thanks
try wlcardconfig
and then pump -i <interface>
Probono,
I saw your tip about how to get these usb based devices working on another post and it has helped me out greatly. My problem has to do with encryption. I can't seem to get it to work.
I'm using a Linksys usb wireles adapter (WUSB12). I have tried my best to get things going by looking at the info here and here, but to no avail.
Basically the above mentioned posts got me to include my encryption info in /etc/wlan/wlan.conf. But after doing this I can no longer use pump to grab an ip address.
Have you had any luck getting WEP to work?
Basically I have turned it off at this point and have set up my WAP to allow only certain mac addresses to connect. I would really like to get WEP working though.
BTW, I got everything to start up automatically by putting your commands into a bash script and placing it in /etc/init.d and then putting a symbolic link to it in /etc/rc5.d Works for me.
Thanks for any advice you guys have to offer on WEP.
Adam

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99