-
Junior Member
registered user
I booted both systems from Knoppix 3.4 CD and was able to succcessfully ping each PC from the other. In addition, I found out that 192.168.0.1 is the modem address, 192.168.1.1 is the router address, and 192.168.1.100, 101 are the addresses for each PC. I was able to ping all addresses from each PC booted from Knoppix 3.4.
I also found out that Service Pack 2 was installed on my Windows PC so I uninstalled that because it has caused nothing but problems so far, and also because I have other means of protecting that PC.
The modem is a SpeedStream 5100 and I believe it does not have a built-in router. There is a self test option at the modem address (192.168.0.1) that allows you to ping addresses to test connectivity. When I tried to ping my systems while at 192.168.0.1, it timed out. But then when I pinged from the console it worked fine.
When I visit 192.168.0.1 I get all my internet service info. I can reset modem, changed modem codes, get loggs and statitics reports, check and change IP address assignment lease time, see MAC address, PPP location, PPPoE...
When I visit 192.168.1.1, this is where I can change all the router settings like DHCP, DNS, Static and Dynamic IP...
So I think you are right when you said it's a Windows problem. But then when I re-booted Windows without SP2 installed and making sure the system was not blocking pinging, it still didn't work. I even changed a setting at 192.168.1.1 where I can block WAN requests (pings) to allow for access to my system... I am not sure what is going on.
SBC is internet service provider, by the way...
Similar Threads
-
By Phishman in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 12:03 AM
-
By nicorellius in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-01-2004, 05:50 AM
-
By turbonow in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-19-2004, 11:00 AM
-
By Jakykong in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-24-2004, 03:29 AM
-
By Case in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$95.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205
$317.56

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$41.19