Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: game needs root

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276

    game needs root

    Kind of. Since switching I have been pining for my online scrabble in linux. Well, they have it in java now and it does work. But only as root. I have to su (well sux, actually).

    Is this a bad thing?

    This is it, BTW.
    http://www.isc.ro/linux/download.html

    If someone can get it run as user please let me know. It bugs out after language selection when loading the board if I try it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I have not had a chance to check out this game but have you tried launching it from cli? It might just be complaining about a particular tool or otherwise that it needs to run but your user does not yet have permission to use said tool.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    it is launched from command line.

    java -jar wordbiz.jar

    But I have to su (sux) or the board won't load. It bugs out. Poof.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well I had the same results. I did use the -verbose option tho. It's crashing here:
    Code:
    [Loaded java.io.DataOutput from /usr/lib/j2re1.4-sun/lib/rt.jar]
    [Loaded java.io.RandomAccessFile from /usr/lib/j2re1.4-sun/lib/rt.jar]
    Perhaps it is trying to write to a non-writable directory?? I'd contact the author and ask.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    I can try, gotta find out who it is first

    In the meantime, is doing this with sux anything I like really shouldn't be doing? It's been years with nothing for linux with this game and I am soooooooo wanting to play it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well I could not in good conscience recommend that you do anything online as root. It just can't be a good idea. Maybe this will be of some assistance: http://www.isc.ro/help/contact.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    awww, they aren't terribly responsive to those who aren't dues-paying members. It took them two weeks to respond to a password request I will try. But having so much fun!!! I have missed scrabble. I just don't know enough about this applet to figure out why it needs root. Maybe a look at the processes when I am running it?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    awww, they aren't terribly responsive to those who aren't dues-paying members. It took them two weeks to respond to a password request
    Well how (or more specifically WHY) do they expect a Linux user to pay dues when their client doesn't work properly? IMHO they have to offer good software before they can expect to charge dues.

Similar Threads

  1. Need game with 2 players
    By mio in forum Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 05:28 PM
  2. Game DVD
    By JHGBaouns in forum Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 12:59 AM
  3. knoppix game cd?
    By TheCrazzyman in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 07:37 AM
  4. new knoppix game cd
    By listman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 02:50 PM
  5. ThinkTanks game?
    By thewalkingman in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00