Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Setting up Dsl connection

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3

    Setting up Dsl connection

    Ok, I just switched from knoppix 3.4 to 3.6. With 3.4 when I ran the the script that helped me automatically set up an internet connection, everything worked fine, however with knoppix 3.6 it doesn't get past the ppoe configuration... I have a dsl connection. If anyone could help me with this problem (whats new in 3.6?) it would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11
    i'm a newbie to knoppix(linux).
    I was wandering how to connect internet. I have dsl connection. tq

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Things to look into:

    Always run networkcard configuration first before run pppoeconfig.


  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11
    Always run networkcard configuration first
    Do i have to put in my own ethernet ip or set to dhcp.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Do i have to put in my own ethernet ip or set to dhcp.
    It depends, if you run your pc from DHCP server or a router that has DHCP capability, you can choose to set dhcp or static ip with gateway set to your router's ip.

    If you run from pc that not connected to a dhcp server/router, setting up static ip is a must.

    Don't forget to set your ISP DNS ip if required by your isp.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11
    My pc is connected to external dsl modem by lan port. Another newbie question is ? Which is one should i set ? dhcp or static ip.

    Btw, I'm using Knoppix 3.6. Just came to know this 2 weeks ago.

    It is easier to set the connection under windows. It worked in windows.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11
    hey good news! shah...

    i use knoppix 3.4.

    i got connect to internet.

    I use external dsl model connected to my ethernet port.

    Always run networkcard configuration first before run pppoeconfig.
    I did the networkcard configuration. I chose to set static ip and enter the dns.
    After that, I did the pppoe configuration. Walla...

    I replied this post using knoppix 3.4. Yeay!

Similar Threads

  1. setting up wNIC??..
    By mb in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 02:34 AM
  2. Setting up WINE
    By davec51 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 12:25 AM
  3. Setting up broadband connection
    By whizkid25 in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 08:47 AM
  4. Help setting up firewall...
    By Toosmoky in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 04:59 PM
  5. Need Help setting up cd-rw and dvd drives..........
    By animated in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 09:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate ST2000NM0045 2TB 3.5

Seagate ST2000NM0045 2TB 3.5" 12Gb/s 128MB 7.2K RPM SAS HDD P/N: 1V4204-002

$24.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$51.99