-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: 8cm DVD with buit-in HOME

Originally Posted by
josep
I just burn a 8cm DVD-RW with the Kanoppix 4.7 amd this is fine....
My Idea.
Use the rest of the RW Disk as a HOME
Format the DVD as two devices, mount one for the Knoppyx and the second one as a different HDD to HOME
¿Could be possible?
If I understand you correctlyl, are you saying you want to use the remaining space of the DVD-RW as a "persistant home" ???
If so, I dont think its going to work... Reason, I dont think Linux is at the "level" of being able to re-write media without first evaporating what is already on that media. i.e. you need to erase the media before you can put something on it, or, you would have a "multi-session" media. In the case of a "multi-session" media, you would just be appending to the disc, and not updating what is already there.
For your idea to work, the disc would need to be able to handle "packet" data, like a hard drive, or flash, or what-ever, and I dont think re-write media, like CD's or DVD's are at this level in Linux, at this point. I could be wrong, but, I think that is what I know, and have heard. Persistant home areas need to be on a media that can be written to "many" times, and even "flash" and "stick" media have come up with problems on this "re-write" ability, sometimes failing in shorter times than they should have been, only the hard drive has stood the test of time, on the re-writes, and being able to handle the "updating" that is required for a persistant home area.
I have a CD-RW, and from what I have used it for, mostly, is "off storing" data that needs to be stored, but not updated, in Linux. If I need to change the data on that media, I have had to "re-cut" the complete CD again, with a full erase of the media, and then re-write the complete CD from scratch. Not sure if this has changed with the new releases of Knoppix, I run v3.4, but, this, again, is what I have heard...
This all could be "old tech", and not current, but, this is what I have heard, hope it helps
Similar Threads
-
By NeroZero in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-01-2005, 02:09 PM
-
By al.rovelli in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-28-2004, 12:56 AM
-
By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 09:35 PM
-
By bsaunders in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-24-2003, 03:43 PM
-
By dmedici in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00