Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Desktop default customization

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61

    Desktop default customization

    OK, I seem to be reading the wrong places, or just missing something obvious...

    My HD Install brings up kdm as the default login manager. One of the options available is "Session Type", but I can't seem to figure out where that menu gets it's values so I can change them. I'm trying to optomize for the older machines I have at home so I'd like to make sure the kids and other family members default to XFCE (or maybe XFCE4 - any thoughts?) with IceWM as the other option. So I'd like to drop KDE and such from the menu.

    I've seen the postings about /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, but since the list there is different than the list that shows up, I'm guessing that's not the right location to change.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    My suggestion is to get rid of KDM and use GDM instead. It's much better looking anyway. Also XFCE4 4.2 packages are out. Sure they're beta but I use them and have no problems. Perfect on old boxes and much sexier than windows could ever hope to be.

    If you already have a version of xfce installed:
    Code:
    $ mv ~/.xfce4 ~/dot.xfce4-4.0
    # apt-get remove --purge libxfce4util-1
    Get the new packages:
    Code:
    # echo "deb http://www.os-cillation.de/debian binary/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    # apt-get update  && apt-get install gdm gdm-themes xfld-desktop xfce4-wavelan-plugin xfce4-taskbar-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin -t binary xfce4
    Then I would also download and install any of these that are useful to you although none of them are required:
    If you want to remove KDE in its entirety a simple apt-get remove libarts1 should do the trick. That leaves a *few* kde packages that will still need to be deleted manually.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61
    Is there a good hint or FAQ on switching to GDM? And is there some documentation on how to customize that to show only the desktop options I want to enable? Don't want to move from one problem to an equal one.

    Also, is there some reason I'd want to get rid of the KDE libraries? Don't I need them for Open Office?

    Thanks,
    Ewan

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    KDM for some reason does not show XFCE4 as an option because of a bug AFAIK. There is some way to get it to work but ????

    GDM keeps all wm in /etc/gdm/Sessions so just remove anything you don't want from there. There's nothing to 'learn' about GDM really. You select a wm and it logs you in. I don't think you really need an FAQ.

    You do not need anything from KDE for OO to work as they are totally unrelated not to mention that KDE is wasting alot of hdd real-estate if you don't use it.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61
    The part I'm not clear about is how to setup gdm instead of kdm to be the login manager. I assume I have to use rcconf or edit a rc.d file somewhere to get gdm to come up instead of kdm?

    Thanks,
    Ewan

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    su
    update-rc.d -f kdm remove
    update-rc.d gdm start 99 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 3 4 6 .


    Could be wrong though as I use kdm.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Desktop default customization

    Quote Originally Posted by ewangr
    OK, I seem to be reading the wrong places, or just missing something obvious...

    My HD Install brings up kdm as the default login manager. One of the options available is "Session Type", but I can't seem to figure out where that menu gets it's values so I can change them. I'm trying to optomize for the older machines I have at home so I'd like to make sure the kids and other family members default to XFCE (or maybe XFCE4 - any thoughts?) with IceWM as the other option. So I'd like to drop KDE and such from the menu.

    I've seen the postings about /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig, but since the list there is different than the list that shows up, I'm guessing that's not the right location to change.

    Thanks in advance!
    KDE changed this beginning with KDE 3.2.
    See this:
    http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75882

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by ewangr
    The part I'm not clear about is how to setup gdm instead of kdm to be the login manager. I assume I have to use rcconf or edit a rc.d file somewhere to get gdm to come up instead of kdm?

    Thanks,
    Ewan
    When you install gdm it will ask you if you would like to use xdm, kdm or gdm. Be sure to also apt-get install gdm-themes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    When you install gdm it will ask you if you would like to use xdm, kdm or gdm.
    Hrm, why didn't I think of that.

Similar Threads

  1. kde menu customization
    By stclaus in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-13-2006, 01:27 AM
  2. router customization
    By dwatkins in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 04:08 PM
  3. Portuguese customization
    By aamorim in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 11:31 AM
  4. Not just another Knoppix customization
    By MattT in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 05:55 AM
  5. hdinstall-customization
    By my2cents in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 08:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS picture

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS

$67.99



Intel Core Ultra 9 CPU 285K 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) up to 5.7 Ghz picture

Intel Core Ultra 9 CPU 285K 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) up to 5.7 Ghz

$475.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i5-13500@2.50 GHz SRMBM Socket FCLGA1700 Processor picture

Intel Core [email protected] GHz SRMBM Socket FCLGA1700 Processor

$159.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



Intel Core i5-11500 SRKNY LGA1200 2.7GHz Six Core Processor 11th Gen PCIe 4.0 picture

Intel Core i5-11500 SRKNY LGA1200 2.7GHz Six Core Processor 11th Gen PCIe 4.0

$85.00