Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix 3.6 on HD ok, but why SYSLOG is empty ???

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix 3.6 on HD ok, but why SYSLOG is empty ???

    Hi all,
    I succesfully installed Knoppix 3.6 with kernel 2.6 on my hd.
    All is gone right, and after installation I successfully upgraded my system with DSELECT.

    Not only, but I succesfully replaced the kernel with 2.6.8, and again all is right.

    I have a problem with PureFTPd, so I searched /var/log/syslog and...
    ...SURPRISE...
    The file is empty!

    root.adm and 640, but 0 bytes!

    Why?

    This is the first time that I set-up a linux system with a 2.6 kernel: Syslog is changed?

    Please help me!!

    Ciao!

    Marco.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3
    Hey! I found the answer!

    The daemon sysklogd wasn't running!

    In fact I found (via the webmin)

    -> sysklogd
    -> crond
    -> inetd
    -> klogd

    and others daemon, who are not started when the system boots!

    Is there a list of daemon to start at boot?

    Ok, now I continue to fine tuning my Knoppix Box!!!

    Ciao from Italy!

    Marco.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix and mounted volumes that appear empty
    By zardoz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
  2. Empty hard drive install
    By shawgo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 11:07 AM
  3. How do I restart syslog and bootlog??
    By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 05:12 PM
  4. Apt-get -> empty program menu
    By Blether in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 01:13 AM
  5. printing: only empty pages...
    By Idletask in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 01:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01 picture

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01

$127.06



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



Apple II V2 ANALOG VGA & Z80 PCPI Applicard Softcard PicoPal IIe picture

Apple II V2 ANALOG VGA & Z80 PCPI Applicard Softcard PicoPal IIe

$56.99