I have knoppix on hda2, so it doesn't need to be first. Try doing a knoppix testcd at boot.
Hello!
I tried Knoppix and I liked it a lot, so I decided to replace my current Linux distribution with it. Everything went fine. I repartitioned my hard drive, leaving Windows XP on hda1 and creating hda2 and hda3, one of them for swap and the other for root.
However, knoppix-install keeps saying that I still haven't done the requiered preparation for the installation. The swap partition is of type swap (82) and the root one is ext3 (83) and is way more than the required 3GB.
I read somewhere that your Linux partition must be the first one. Is this true? Because I certainly can't remove Windows.
I tried starting knoppix-install with the install_check=1 option, so that it stops complaining and everything seems to go fine until the now dreaded 66% when I get a series of errors.
I was really looking forward to using Knoppix for a long period and finally stop my distribution testing that consumes very many hours. So any suggestions will be more than welcome. Thank you.
I have knoppix on hda2, so it doesn't need to be first. Try doing a knoppix testcd at boot.
It said that everything seems okay...
I may go for Mepis as I heard that it has a better hd install utility and is also a pretty good distro.
I've heard cases where you need to mount the drive first.Originally Posted by Laen
![]()
wasn;t the case for me but it seemed to work of others.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00