Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Mouse problems. Need a few pointers (geddit?)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26

    Mouse problems. Need a few pointers (geddit?)

    After having problems installing a modem driver when using kernel2.6 I've switched to using the 2.4 kernel. Unfortunately, my Labtec 3 button mouse is giving me some hassle. I don't know how to explain exactly but it just doesn't feel right, it's a bit sluggish and unresponsive though it works perfectly with the 2.6 kernel.
    I've tried reconfiguring it but I just can't get it to feel like it does normally.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    In KDE use the kmenu go to System>Control Center>Periipherals>mouse clicking on the advanced tab will give you a screen for changing aceleration and other attributes of your pointing device.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26
    I've tried changing the attributes and everything matches exactly how it is set up with the 2.6 kernel but it still feels wrong. Like I said, I'm not sure how to explain but it is quite hard to aim the mouse pointer at a small button first time, I keep missing, if you get what I mean.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    I don't know if there is a problem with Xfree86.Config-4 in the latest knoppix releases.
    My scroll wheel doesn't work with the 2.6 kernel but it does with 2.4.26. Could do a search on this....
    Also since you had no problem with the mouse in 2.6 do you want to try and resolve the modem driver problem instead? What modem are you using? If it's a winmodem some of those can be difficult to get working-as you've discovered.
    Have you checked this site? : http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html
    Hope this is of some help.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    26
    Unfortunately, yes I have seen that site and many, many others relating to installing winmodems on linux but I tried for three weeks to get get modem working and it was only when I accidentally loaded in the 2.4 kernel that I got the driver to install. Incidentally, it is the very latest driver for that modem from the Intel website and they claim it works with 2.6 kernels but clearly not mine.
    Anyhow, I've tried a different mouse and this one is working fine with 2.4 so I'm happy now.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by eon
    I don't know if there is a problem with Xfree86.Config-4 in the latest knoppix releases.
    My scroll wheel doesn't work with the 2.6 kernel but it does with 2.4.26. Could do a search on this....
    Also since you had no problem with the mouse in 2.6 do you want to try and resolve the modem driver problem instead? What modem are you using? If it's a winmodem some of those can be difficult to get working-as you've discovered.
    Have you checked this site? : http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html
    Hope this is of some help.
    Had the same problem, solved it by changing protocol=auto to protocol=IMPS/2 in /etc/X11/XF86config-4:

    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
     Driver      "mouse"
    # modified by CrashedAgain for wheelmouse support with 2.6.6 kernel
     Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
            Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
     Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
     Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
     Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
     Option     "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
    EndSection

Similar Threads

  1. New to Knoppix, need some pointers
    By Otacon in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 05:15 PM
  2. SCSI disk not detected by noppix ?!? Any pointers ? ...
    By dayalp in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 06:03 PM
  3. newbie pointers
    By diirrttiiee in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 08:34 AM
  4. Problems with mouse
    By vital_pc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 10:43 PM
  5. Mouse Pointers
    By colin stewart in forum General Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$39.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia picture

128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia

$16.59



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98% picture

Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98%

$50.00



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Samsung 1TB SSD 2.5 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD 2.5

$69.00