-
Junior Member
registered user
Mouse problems. Need a few pointers (geddit?)
After having problems installing a modem driver when using kernel2.6 I've switched to using the 2.4 kernel. Unfortunately, my Labtec 3 button mouse is giving me some hassle. I don't know how to explain exactly but it just doesn't feel right, it's a bit sluggish and unresponsive though it works perfectly with the 2.6 kernel.
I've tried reconfiguring it but I just can't get it to feel like it does normally.
-
Senior Member
registered user
In KDE use the kmenu go to System>Control Center>Periipherals>mouse clicking on the advanced tab will give you a screen for changing aceleration and other attributes of your pointing device.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I've tried changing the attributes and everything matches exactly how it is set up with the 2.6 kernel but it still feels wrong. Like I said, I'm not sure how to explain but it is quite hard to aim the mouse pointer at a small button first time, I keep missing, if you get what I mean.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't know if there is a problem with Xfree86.Config-4 in the latest knoppix releases.
My scroll wheel doesn't work with the 2.6 kernel but it does with 2.4.26. Could do a search on this....
Also since you had no problem with the mouse in 2.6 do you want to try and resolve the modem driver problem instead? What modem are you using? If it's a winmodem some of those can be difficult to get working-as you've discovered.
Have you checked this site? : http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html
Hope this is of some help.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Unfortunately, yes I have seen that site and many, many others relating to installing winmodems on linux but I tried for three weeks to get get modem working and it was only when I accidentally loaded in the 2.4 kernel that I got the driver to install. Incidentally, it is the very latest driver for that modem from the Intel website and they claim it works with 2.6 kernels but clearly not mine.
Anyhow, I've tried a different mouse and this one is working fine with 2.4 so I'm happy now.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
eon
I don't know if there is a problem with Xfree86.Config-4 in the latest knoppix releases.
My scroll wheel doesn't work with the 2.6 kernel but it does with 2.4.26. Could do a search on this....
Also since you had no problem with the mouse in 2.6 do you want to try and resolve the modem driver problem instead? What modem are you using? If it's a winmodem some of those can be difficult to get working-as you've discovered.
Have you checked this site? :
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html
Hope this is of some help.
Had the same problem, solved it by changing protocol=auto to protocol=IMPS/2 in /etc/X11/XF86config-4:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
# modified by CrashedAgain for wheelmouse support with 2.6.6 kernel
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection
Similar Threads
-
By Otacon in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-27-2005, 05:15 PM
-
By dayalp in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-05-2004, 06:03 PM
-
By diirrttiiee in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 08:34 AM
-
By vital_pc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-12-2004, 10:43 PM
-
By colin stewart in forum General Support
Replies: 17
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 12:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$482.02

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$372.48

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99

1TB SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD (Recertified) - A196-SDSSDE61-1T00
$150.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16

Intel Ultra 7 265K, CORSAIR 32GB DDR5 7200MHz CL34, WD_BLACK SN850 1TB NVMe SSD
$749.99

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$19.49

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD
$444.99