Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: kio_fish

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2

    kio_fish

    In the lastest release, kio_fish works fine when going out from a machine running Knoppix to another running Red Hat, but I cannot get one Knoppix machine to kio_fish to another Knoppix machine. I have been trying "fish://knoppix@IP#". Is there a secret, or is Knoppix missing something that prevents a remote log-in?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: kio_fish

    Quote Originally Posted by Neal C.
    Is there a secret, or is Knoppix missing something that prevents a remote log-in?
    Can you login to the other box via ssh? Only if ssh works, fish will work.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. Knoppix does not start ssh by default, but it is included.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal C.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. Knoppix does not start ssh by default, but it is included.
    sudo /etc/init.de/ssh start
    sudo passwd knoppix

    is everything you need!

    cu

    Fabian

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I tried that and get "no such file or directory..."

    Regards,

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I tried that and get "no such file or directory..."

    Regards,
    It is a typo it should be sudo /etc/init.d/sshd start not sudo /etc/init.de/ssh start.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I thought so....

    I'm having a little problem with this. I have my students in a lab of 24 PCs running the "poor man's dual boot." the 25th machine was knoppix-installer'd as debian. Now I created accounts on this "server" so my kids can save their work in /home. Unfortuantely, using ssh with scp or fish is hit or miss. Some kids have no problem, but some can't even connect! Is this because they should always start ssh as you describe? If so, why can some kids connect and others not? I thought that sshd was started at boot time. I suppose sshd needs to be started on both the client and the server end, right?

    Let me get this straight.
    So I need to setup sshd on the server
    /etc/init.d/sshd start

    and my students, as clients, need to
    /etc/init.d/sshd start
    and then
    ssh -l sally 10.10.2.64
    and then
    scp [email protected]:/home/sally/MyProg.java .
    or
    scp MyProg.java [email protected]:/home/sally
    or
    "KONQUEROR fish://[email protected]"

    right...? I don't have them use /etc/init.d/sshd start - maybe that's the problem? In other words, do my clients need to use sshd start before ssh and do they then need ssh before scp or fish? Also, do I have to sshd start on the server (where my students save work to /home) first?

    TIA,

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I have a similar problem with X -query 10.10.2.64 - I can't get this to work at all.

    If I knoppix-installer all 25 PCs, I was thinking of adding X -query to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to automatically have my student's X-server boot to the "server's" X-server so they go directly to a login screen with their userids and /home dirs. Is there something else I have to initialize for this to work?

    BTW, do I need to update /etc/hosts for X -query to work if I'm using raw ip addresses? What about X -broadcast?

    Sorry I'm so clueless wrt setting up a LAN....

    TIA,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95