Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Hard Drive Transplant

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65

    Hard Drive Transplant

    What would happen if I installed and configured Knoppix 3.6 and then took that hard drive and put it into another computer, with different hardware, as it's only hard drive?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Hard Drive Transplant

    Quote Originally Posted by jMon54
    What would happen if I installed and configured Knoppix 3.6 and then took that hard drive and put it into another computer, with different hardware, as it's only hard drive?
    Not to much really, I believe that knoppix, even as a debain install does some hardware detection to find what module to load.
    At the very most you'd only need to tinker a bit.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    80
    Assuming the other machine has totally different motherboard and controllers you will most likely find that you will need to reinstall the actuall system but that restore the files you want from a simple backup. Most of hardware detection is not disks and cd roms. Most of it the time spent in detection is spent on motherboard hardware detection and very important. And I'm not talking about a simple thing like sound (if onboard). I'm talking about the controllers for your memory, pci bridge, cpu, bios, etc. You can certainly try to just swap but if it works I think you will have many problems and I'm not talking about the problems that a simple forum post will take care of. This assumes you did a Debian style install. If you did a knoppix style install hardware detection takes place on each bootup. Debian install doesn't redetect the core hardware on each boot.

    BACK UP your directories and give it a try.

    I have never tried to swap the a drive with linux on it before without reinstalling linux. It doesn't take that much time and it's going to be clean. Keep us posted as to wether it works swapping the dribe without new install. If it does, I guess I will have learned something new about knoppix today.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    Actually, this is very much what I've done on a series of PCs. I took an image with Ghost, since it turned out to be faster than going through the install. I used the default "Beginner" install, so it does hardware detection.

    Anyway, to force it to do full h/w detection, I find I needed to delete several files in /etc before boot--and the system did quite nicely. What I needed to delete was:

    /etc/modules
    /etc/modules-2.4.27
    /etc/modules-2.6.(whatever version)
    /etc/X11/XF86Config
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    Basically, these seem to be where autodetection writes its results, and if they exist it uses the existing versions. All three /etc/modules iterations may not exist, but any that do should be deleted.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i have done this many times with both Slackware and Debian, never knoppix, should work OK, you might need to edit some /etc files (Xfree, fstab, lilo.conf, grub.lst, modules.conf...) but if lilo/grub is configured rigt it should boot ok. perhaps with some erors but nothing that should crash things (never hapened for me).

Similar Threads

  1. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  2. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  3. Where is my hard drive?
    By inspired1 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 07:42 AM
  4. What's the best USB Hard drive to use?
    By Bodhi in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 02:19 AM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99