Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: growing list of Knoppix remasters

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159

    growing list of Knoppix remasters

    Technically not exactly Knoppix, but now there are also Red Hat and mandrake based bootable CDs that use Knoppix (cloop) technology. And of course many "real" Knoppix remasters:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...Customizations
    Please add to the list any remaster that is not listed.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    44
    I'm finishing Kurumin 2.0, It's greatly improved since version 1.3

    Now he como with:

    - Full printer support

    - Mozilla firebird, kopete, koffice, mplayer, xine, xmms, kghosview, and more apps

    - Improved knx-hdinstall

    - remasterizar-kurumin (a script to remaster the CD whitout much fight

    A lot of other small things

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27

    Congrats for kurumin

    First of all congrats for kurumin, it by far the best remastered knoppix I have ever used.
    Some things are even better (yes better) the knoppix itself
    I specialy like the winmodem scripts that you use, and the best part of it is they work without any problem, It is great to be online in 3mins. One other thing that I really like is mplayer, not mutch to say here.
    I have some questions though,
    1. How can you redistubute the modem modules as most if not all of them are prop. drivers?
    2. I think mplayer too has some licencse/patent issues
    3.Why hasn't knopper included them in knoppix?
    4. Why can't I find the sources of the modifications/additions you make?
    5. The new features ( printer support, inmproved knx-hdinstall, ) how are they different from knoppix?

    Thanks
    Mario

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    79
    Found this one.
    Mepis Linux. Live CD and HD installable via a desktop icon.
    It looks and feels like Knoppix and features KDE 3.1.2

    http://www.mepis.org/

    It looks pretty good and it has a hard drive install icon to boot. It also has a extra's CD for more apps when you install to your hard drive.

    I downloaded both CD's. It looks promising

    Check it out!
    paul

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    44

    Re: Congrats for kurumin

    1. How can you redistubute the modem modules as most if not all of them are prop. drivers?

    - They CAN be distrubuted in binary form, they just aren't open-source

    2. I think mplayer too has some licencse/patent issues

    - Just in US. I live in Brasil and Kurumin is used primary here. It's a concern just for ho lives in US.

    3.Why hasn't knopper included them in knoppix?

    - I think because they are not proprietary and not open-source (the softmodem drivers)

    4. Why can't I find the sources of the modifications/additions you make?

    - Because all that I do are just a bunch of bash scripts, they are "naturaly" open source :-) You can found all of then at /usr/local/bin

    5. The new features ( printer support, inmproved knx-hdinstall, ) how are they different from knoppix?

    - The printer suport are just debian packages and kaddprinterwizard, I think essentialy the same fron Knoppix. My "improved knx-hdinstall" are just modifications to the original script, you can find at /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18
    Adios is a Redhat 8.0 on a bootable CD. It is created and maintained by a College Professer in Australia. He works on it weekly, and always releases a new one with amazing features.

    I really like it, you can save your whole /var directory to a floppy or USB storage to remember settings, you can use it to dual boot with a Windows system, you can install the image only to a hard drive, or do none of the above and just run it off the CD>


    Found here http://www.dc.fit.qut.edu.au/adios/adios-bootcd.html

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27
    I don't want to be the bad guy here and sorry if I insist but licencses should be very carefully read and applied

    - They CAN be distrubuted in binary form, they just aren't open-source

    Not sure about all modems but from intel site:
    Materials are copyrighted and are protected by worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions. They may not be copied, reproduced, modified, published, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, without Intel's prior written permission.

    From linuxant site ( conexant modems):
    Redistribution. Redistribution of this software is permitted only for non-beta, officially released versions. Redistribution of versions marked "beta" or "lnxtbeta" requires explicit written approval from Linuxant.
    Note: non beta software is not yet released

    For pctel, motorola I did not find anything


    - I think because they are not proprietary and not open-source (the softmodem drivers)

    If the softmodems drivers where freely distributable the would surely be in the download cd\s of many distros ( who doesn' t want provide support for modems?)

    - Because all that I do are just a bunch of bash scripts, they are "naturaly" open source You can found all of then at /usr/local/bin

    Fortunatly kurumin is small so I can download all 220mb burn the cd and then copy the one script I think I need .Would be easyer though if I could download only what I wanted ( e.g. knx-hdinstall)


    Don't get me wrong, I realy like kurumin ( I use it and I can't even read portuges )
    but If we all don't follow/respect the licensces people can easaly say :
    See linux users are just hackers/crackers they don't respect laws, licenses.
    SCO already made a big mess of it: (

    But why am I talking... I use kurumin, I like it and if I can I will support it.
    Keep up the good work, I can't wait for version 2

    Mario

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    44
    There are other distros that include softmodems drivers, the greatest problem are not the licenses (nothing wrong in re-dstribute the archives without modification) but customer suport. There are many diferent models of softmodems, diferences even in modems with the same chipset, making extremely dificult for a major distro, like mandrake or redhat "support" then.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    16
    I noticed that you asked that we list re-masters that weren't listed on the list here. How do we do that?

    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix sources.list repository incomplete list.
    By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
  2. Please post your remasters here
    By probono in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 01:18 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2003, 03:46 PM
  4. No more remasters with Openoffice1.1 since they released rc3
    By elise in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 04:38 PM
  5. What does 30+ remasters say about Knoppix?
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 06:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64GB 2x32GB DDR4-3600 CL18 PVB464G360C8K RAM Kit #P2 picture

Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64GB 2x32GB DDR4-3600 CL18 PVB464G360C8K RAM Kit #P2

$349.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit picture

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit

$199.99



Patriot Viper Steel 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 RAM 3600MT/s CL18 #P1 picture

Patriot Viper Steel 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 RAM 3600MT/s CL18 #P1

$349.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



ADATA XPG Spectrix White RGB AX4U320038G16-BW41 32GB DDR4 matching set of 8GB picture

ADATA XPG Spectrix White RGB AX4U320038G16-BW41 32GB DDR4 matching set of 8GB

$149.99



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00