-
Weird boot problem using WinPartition on Sony Picturebook
I was psyched to learn that Knoppix can boot from a windows partition without floppies or CD-ROM, and was eager to try it out on my Sony Picturebook (VAIO C1Vn) with no floppy or CD. It's currently set up with Win2000 and NTFS.
I downloaded Knoppix 3.6 .iso image to my hard drive, and I followed the instructions for the Poor Man's install at
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/WinPartition
and it worked!!! I had to use the "Old method" of starting GRUB as the page lists for Win2k compatibillity, but GRUB loaded fine, and I could boot knoppix24 without a problem. It started up, loaded X (the screen looked funny though -- vertically compressed because of the C1vn's 1024x480 screen -- but this was relatively minor), and life was good.
The problem happened the SECOND time I tried to boot, and ever since. Now, after selecting the Knoppix entry in the Win2000 boot loader, GRUB never loads, and the machine hangs with a completely black screen, and needs a power-off to restart. I've tried selecting the other options listed on the WinPartition page for starting GRUB to no avail. Win2K still loads fine. What's going on here? I've tried mucking around with the keyboard after being presented with the blank screen, thinking it may just be a display issue, but to no avail. Waiting 10minutes also yielded no results. I did not change any Knoppix configuration options during the first boot, didn't install it on the HD, didn's create a home directory, in other words, I didn't make any changes to the system that I'm aware of! Help!
-
not sure if this helps or if you've solved your problem.... but i've been able to boot knoppix 3.7 (with kernel 2.4) & knoppix 3.8.1 (kernel 2.6) both using grub (version grube posted somewhere in the forum), with the iso files copied to hard disk. it runs on a vaio picturebook pcg-c1mgp running windows xp professional though.
so, here are my suggestions:
- use 3.7 iso file with kernel 2.4 (as kernel 2.6 did not run successfully...) or use 3.8.1 iso
- use latest grub with ntfs fixes from: http://bhavesh.mdns.org/pub/grubforknoppix/grube.zip
- maybe old grub loader for windows 2000 needs updating? but i got same version to work on a dell desktop running windows 2000...
Similar Threads
-
By mattpist in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:39 AM
-
By socrates in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-11-2004, 12:17 PM
-
By leodr99 in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 02:19 AM
-
By Me|2c in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:29 AM
-
By KlausRSchambeck in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate Constellation ES.3 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | ST2000NM0033
$40.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)
$61.56

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99