-
Junior Member
registered user
Won't boot.
Downloaded Knoppix last week but I can't get it to run on my desktop emachines 266. I'm pretty sure the disk is ok, it runs ok on my Toshiba laptop. Also did a successful HD install on the laptop but it hangs trying to boot on the desktop. It only barely gets started:
'INIT version 2.78 booting
'Processor is MII 3x Core/Bus clock 200MHZ
then it hangs.
Any suggestions? What's it trying to do at this point in the script?
P.S. This computer doesn't seem very happy with Linux. 'Freeduc' which I got from a magazine (& which led me to knoppix) runs ok. It won't recognize 'Yoper' (also from a magazine) as a bootable CD. It currently has Debian Woody installed but with no sound. Mandrake 9.0 made it through the install but wouldn't run. Knoppix looks better than any of these but it won't even boot.
-
Re: Won't boot.

Originally Posted by
LinuxAmateur
Downloaded Knoppix last week but I can't get it to run on my desktop emachines 266. I'm pretty sure the disk is ok, it runs ok on my Toshiba laptop. Also did a successful HD install on the laptop but it hangs trying to boot on the desktop. It only barely gets started:
'INIT version 2.78 booting
'Processor is MII 3x Core/Bus clock 200MHZ
then it hangs.
Any suggestions? What's it trying to do at this point in the script?
P.S. This computer doesn't seem very happy with Linux. 'Freeduc' which I got from a magazine (& which led me to knoppix) runs ok. It won't recognize 'Yoper' (also from a magazine) as a bootable CD. It currently has Debian Woody installed but with no sound. Mandrake 9.0 made it through the install but wouldn't run. Knoppix looks better than any of these but it won't even boot.
You might not have enough memory on this computer. How much memory do you have? If it is below 128MB, you probably will only be able to run knoppix using the boot: command of knoppix 2 (which will only run in text mode).
-
Junior Member
registered user
It has 160 M. I don't think that is the problem, the Knoppix disk runs ok on my laptop which also has 160M. I don't think it even gets to the point of checking how much memory there is, it freezes at only the 3rd or 4th line of startup script.
-
Senior Member
registered user
MII - that's a cyrix right? Have you tried booting failsafe?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Yes, its a Cyrix. I've tried failsafe & any of the other options I could think of also. Is Cyrix a problem chip?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
LinuxAmateur
Yes, its a Cyrix. Is Cyrix a problem chip?
Not that I know of- Linux can certainly be run on a Cyrix - I suppose I was just curious- I have an old Cyrix machine that I've been meaning to put together. I have had machines that wouldn't boot any Linux at all until I found the right distro for them. I realize this doesn't help you at all. I'm still researching- if I find anything I'll be sure and post it.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hope you find something. I'm really curious why Freeduc will run but Knoppix won't since Freeduc IS Knoppix without KDE. Any idea what the startup script is doing right after it checks the processor type? Where is the startup script? can we read it once the system is up? (I can boot it on my laptop).
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
LinuxAmateur
Where is the startup script? can we read it once the system is up? (I can boot it on my laptop).
/etc/init.d
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks. Checked out the script, determined that it was checking out apm when it crashed, started noapm & it got past that point but then it froze again later on. not sure at what point this time.
I'm still confused though. I appears that the startup script (knoppix-autoconfig) is EXACTLY the same (at least in the early parts of it) for both Knoppix & Freeduc yet Freeduc will run & Knoppix won't.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit
$44.99

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold
$749.99

Vintage IBM XT 5160 PC Computer 640KB RAM with Expansions (Powers On As Is)
$350.00

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe
$449.99

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D
$219.99

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE
$299.99