Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can skype work with Knoppix?? (with no ALSA)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12

    Can skype work with Knoppix?? (with no ALSA)

    I've tried many times to use skype with my Knoppix. I have both Knoppix 3.6 and Knoppix3.3/Debian testing. Skype runs perfect from the tar.gz package (QT3.2 dynamic), I can hear the others, but they cannot hear me
    I've read the skype FAQ and many threads in the skype forum too, but still no luck with the microphone

    For now I prefer not to install ALSA. I use the auto settings in KDE, or OSS.
    When I run skype from a console, one of the message says:

    Sound: no device found

    or alike. But I can hear the others and there is no problem with the sound when playing mp3 or videos too...

    My sound cards are:
    1. laptop - Ali54xxx built in.
    2. desktop - 2 cards - AC97 and C-Media8738 PCI.
    (I use the sound from C-Media, but my microphone is connected to the AC97; which shouldn't be a problem I think.)


    If anyone has successfully run skype with Knoppix, I'll be gratefull of a piece of info




    P.S.
    Thanks CrashAgain for the sound help

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80
    Hei fla

    Well ref today's Hardware thread you can see I managed to get Skype working using alsa and a usb Cyberphone of the type found in Skype's store

    It was quite a job on Knoppix/Debian, and I still have to solve the same problem on Kanotix and Mepis. With Suse 9.1 Pro Skype came up within seconds, and I've had it working on Gentoo for quite a while..

    I see you are using two cards, which is what my onboard Intel ICH4 & the cyberphone look like..

    Do you have the option to select and adjust the levels of either card within Kmix or some other mixer?

    regards

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2005, 08:34 AM
  2. Alsa problem; alsa-autoconfig does not work
    By ScreamingTemporalDoom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
  3. problems with alsa alsa-autoconfig doesn't seem to work
    By dzogchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
  4. alsa no work in knoppix 3.3
    By Groke in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 02:45 PM
  5. Notebook sound ES1878 does not work (alsa instead?)
    By cy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00