-
Junior Member
registered user
Autoconfig stopped working on HDD install.
At first autoconfig worked every time I restarted my knoppix 3.6.
Then, later sometimes the status bar from the autoconfigure would be short and my network cards and soundcard wouldn't work. That used to be infrequent. Now, the autoconfigure satus bar is always short and my netowork cards and soundcard are never detected. I didn't change any of my peripherals.
The autoconfigure always works perfectly if I boot from CD. Is there a way to maybe copy the autoconfigure routine from the CD onto my HD or somehow restore it to its CD state?
Thanks in advance.
--Robert
-
Junior Member
registered user
Here's more info.
When the autoconfig fails (the status bar only moves to the right three steps before saying "done"), I cannot log in as root in X. I get an error saying, "Sorry, sudo must be setuid root." I'm afraid to change anything because when the autoconfig does work, which has been a LONG time now, everything works fine.
However, I can still use my console. When I issue mii-tool I get "no MII intervaces found" and when I issue netcardconfig I get "No supported network cards found."
So, I don't think I have a driver problem, I have an autoconfig problem.
Almost forgot, I get a "devfs filesytem isn't supported by kernel" error on boot as well. Hope this helps.
--Robert
-
Re: Autoconfig stopped working on HDD install.
Hello I have a similiar problem. I am a total newbie and since I did a hardwareinstall there is no autodetection anymore how do I set the system, so that it autodetects again at bott from HD?
thanks
yours
tom
-
Senior Member
registered user
rbivins: It sounds like autoconfig is finding an error somewhere & not handling the error very well. I don't know how to troubleshoot this but I would try first putting markers into autoconfig to try to pinpoint the problem. This file is /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig if you are using a knoppix-type HD install, I think it's /etc/init.d/knoppix=hd-autoconfig if you are using a beginner type install. Insert this line:
echo " [1;32m ......Hello I got to point 1..... [0;39m"
at various locations in the config script & see if you can determine where it is having problems.
You could also try the various boot cheatcodes. With a HD install, the cheatcodes are in the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf. Edit the conf file then run lilo to implement your changes.
Websnail: My guess is that you have done a Debian type HD install which does not use the autoconfig script. You can either leave as is or reinstall as a Knoppix or beginner type install. The most annoying thing about the knoppix type installl is that it overwrite fstab with each boot so if you change setup to automatically mount your other patitions it will be overwritten. The cure is to use the 'nofstab' boot cheatcode.
-
Thanks fpr your tip. But I use the beginner type install....
is there an option to turn the hardware detection on
thanks
tom
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
rbivins: It sounds like autoconfig is finding an error somewhere & not handling the error very well. I don't know how to troubleshoot this but I would try first putting markers into autoconfig to try to pinpoint the problem. This file is /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig if you are using a knoppix-type HD install, I think it's /etc/init.d/knoppix=hd-autoconfig if you are using a beginner type install. Insert this line:
I will give this a try and let you know what I find.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
Websnail: My guess is that you have done a Debian type HD install which does not use the autoconfig script. You can either leave as is or reinstall as a Knoppix or beginner type install. The most annoying thing about the knoppix type installl is that it overwrite fstab with each boot so if you change setup to automatically mount your other patitions it will be overwritten. The cure is to use the 'nofstab' boot cheatcode.
However, I did explicitly state in my message that my autoconfig did work for months AFTER I did the HD install. It only recently started not to work. AND, like I said, it works poorly. I didn't say it didn't work at all. It goes maybe three blocks to the right then says done. Normally it would go about 20 blocks to the right. I mean the status indicator, do you know what I mean?
Thanks,
--Robert
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rbivins

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
Websnail: My guess is that you have done a Debian type HD install which does not use the autoconfig script. You can either leave as is or reinstall as a Knoppix or beginner type install. The most annoying thing about the knoppix type installl is that it overwrite fstab with each boot so if you change setup to automatically mount your other patitions it will be overwritten. The cure is to use the 'nofstab' boot cheatcode.
However, I did explicitly state in my message that my autoconfig did work for months AFTER I did the HD install. It only recently started not to work. AND, like I said, it works poorly. I didn't say it didn't work at all. It goes maybe three blocks to the right then says done. Normally it would go about 20 blocks to the right. I mean the status indicator, do you know what I mean?
Thanks,
--Robert
That reply was to Websnail. For your problem, if you look through /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig you will see several lines 'update_progress 20 (or 40or60etc)' This is where the progress bar is being created. It sounds like it may be having trouble configuring X but this is just a guess, so you might try adding "nomkxf86config" to your append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf. This is the same as booting with the nomkxf86config cheatcode. You might also try booting 'interactive' mode.
It is surprising that it would work for a while then quit. It is unlikely that the autoconfig script has changed in any way, it sounds like a hardware detection issue.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Websnail
Thanks fpr your tip. But I use the beginner type install....
is there an option to turn the hardware detection on
thanks
tom
Possibly it is actually working; I think the beginner type install does an initial HW detection then just checks if anything has changed & reruns autoconfig if it finds any changes.
-
The Problem is I also said Hardware support, NO during the boot where I did the hd-installation. It also starts with VESA and the wrong Sounddriver (intel ac97 not cmi)...I really donīt know where to change anything of this.
thanks a lot for your help.
yours
tom
Similar Threads
-
By linuxer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-26-2005, 01:50 PM
-
By fordfasterr in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-22-2005, 04:03 PM
-
By santos_douglas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:02 AM
-
By rec9140 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-12-2003, 06:59 PM
-
By jimk in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Unfi Security Gateway Pro
$170.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50