How to enable telnet daemon on Knoppix ?
I tried to look for /etc/xinetd.d/telnet, but cannot find it.
If I make the changes, will they be saved so telnetd will automatically run after restart.
Or do I have to adapt the knoppix.sh script by myself ?
How to enable telnet daemon on Knoppix ?
I tried to look for /etc/xinetd.d/telnet, but cannot find it.
If I make the changes, will they be saved so telnetd will automatically run after restart.
Or do I have to adapt the knoppix.sh script by myself ?
Well I don't *think* Knoppix uses xinetd but I do not have a Knoppix disc handy. Try:
/etc/init.d/telnetd start
You should seriously consider ssh instead of telnet.
It can be started in Knoppix by typing
sshstart
Greetings,
probono
and i can reccomend putty as a windows client to ssh (and sftp, scp...) the advantage is a radical security improvment as trafic is encrypted.
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
Tnx for your reactions.
1. /etc/init.d/telnetd does not exist on KNOPPIX 3.6.
2. when you do :
cd /
find . -name telnetd -print
you get /KNOPPIX/usr/lib/telnetd
However, this direcory is EMPTY !
3. I prefer to use telnet above SSH, since telnet clients are installed by default on WIN (still used by my employer). It is even by default installed on KNOPPIX.
4. I am very surpised that there is no telnetd standard available running on KNOPPIX.
Why not the telnet server ? I do no want to say that it has to be enabled by default, but an available telnetd executable would be nice.
the reason being that ANYONE can breach the security of a computer running telnet, it wont take 2 min.
then the really scary bit begins, that person "OWN'S" (or atleast can "own" it without much trouble) the computer and as he is inside the network most other machines there are threatened aswell.
using telnet is about as security aware as using wireless lan with wep and other available security measures turned off. one big holle easy to walk or even run trough.
To sum it up telnet is a OLD program that has not eveolved to deal with todays hostile networking environment, just the thought of sending usernames and passwords in plain text, and doing it in a way that any packetsniffer can see and display with help of notepad is not exactly good.
And you can install it by simply clicking on klik://putty (klik client needs to be installed, see http://klik.berlios.de)Originally Posted by OErjan
A look at the packages.txt tells me that Knoppix has the following:Originally Posted by markraem
ii telnet-ssl 0.17.24+0.1-2 The telnet client with SSL encryption support
ii telnetd-ssl 0.17.24+0.1-2 The telnet server with SSL encryption support
Tnx for your thougths
Markraem

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00
Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99
Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$119.99
Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6" HD, N4000, 6GB, 64GB EMMC, Platinum Titan
$165.00
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77