Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: "Initiating starting sequence" forever...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    25

    "Initiating starting sequence" forever...

    Hi,

    I'm trying to use for the first time Knoppix. When it shows the command line I do ENTER and it begins to search for current hardware, etc...until it arrives to a screen with a voice telling "initiating starting sequence". After a few seconds, the screen turns black, and there it comes again, the same image with the same voice "initiating starting sequence"...and forever...and ever...

    What am I doing wrong?

    PS - my mouse doesn't work too...

    Regards,

    Kepler

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Usually booting problems with Knoppix can be solved by entering a 'cheatcode' to bypass whatever piece of the startup which is making problems. Press f2 at the boot logon to see the available cheatcode.
    The ones that most commonly work are nodma or noapci. You will also want to specify your language, for english use 'knoppix lang=us' or 'knoppix lang=en'.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110
    Try starting with cheatcode 2. That should bring you to the command line.
    My recollection is that the speech "initiating starting sequence" is associated with starting Xwindows (KDE).

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by rcook
    Try starting with cheatcode 2. That should bring you to the command line.
    My recollection is that the speech "initiating starting sequence" is associated with starting Xwindows (KDE).
    The speech sequence is in /etc/X11/Xsession/45xsession before it starts any window manager so the start sequence is getting to the point of attempting to start a window manager. Possibly it is having problems starting X or KDE, try booting 'knoppix 2' to get to a terminal mode then try 'startx' to start kde or 'startxfce' to see if xfce works.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    25

    well...

    Hi,

    First of all, if I type startx, everything stays as before - but at least I have the command line. After an enormous effort, I was able to partition my disk, in a small amount of 16 MB, system FAT ( don't ask...). Now, the idea is to put the files to compile in that partition; the question is: what commands should I use from Knoppix to compile those files ( please be very explicit...)? They are in drive F. Must I format this drive to Linux? And then, how do I reach them to compile them?

    Any help is welcome.

    Regards,

    Kepler

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    what do you want to compile? why? is this for installing a driver or something such?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    25

    Linux

    I've got a win32 system, running Windows XP. What I want is to compile C source files to run in the Linux environment. Everyone told me that I can do that with Knoppix - but I would have to have a small partition to put the files on, and retrieve the compiled ones.

    Kepler

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes gcc is a working c-compiler, and it is ofcource available in Knoppix,
    just what EXACTLY do you want? is it to compile staticaly just one or two minor programes or do you want to develop more serious things?
    no matter what i would go with a hdd install, perhaps of Knoppix, or perhaps some other dist more aimed at hd install. say fedora (remember to incorporate development packages) mandrake, Slackware or Debian.
    with a HD install things become simpler to some extent, you can add/remove programes easily and read/write files without much trouble.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    25

    compiling...

    What I want is, from time to time, compile about 10 C source code files to Linux executables. I've already made a partition ( Linux Swap ) - but there comes my firt doubt: I don't see it in Windows anywhere; so, how can I put the C files that I want to compile there ( in that specific partition )?

    Second: running GCC; I'm in the root of knoppix - What do I do? To wich directory do I move in? What command and where do I run the MAKE utility or GCC itself?

    I'm a bit lost here...

    Can you help me? This is quite urgent - the person who was compiling my source code to Linux is too busy ( so he says...). I can't depend of him for life.

    Regards,

    Kepler

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    the Swap is just "virtual memory".
    to have storage easily read/written to between the two you need a fat32 partition (vfat in linuxspeak).
    for simplicity we say yoiu have one. if you just go to that parition.
    where you ofcourse previously have stored the source (and compannions) in separate directories for each binary.
    the reason for separate directories being that otherwise the ./configure, ./make and company might get confused to what file to work with.
    to make the binaries enter the directory do ./configure folowed by make.
    jnow we come to the tricky part. do you want to make packages to be installed? do you want to make executable binaries (already done with make) or?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "Initiating start up sequence" voice
    By syklops in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-29-2006, 04:31 AM
  2. what happend to the "initating boot sequence" ?
    By jason_pine in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 02:40 PM
  3. 'initiating start up sequence' black screen with lines
    By hard2drive in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 05:05 AM
  4. Make HdBased -> "lagging" after starting KDE
    By Popovn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 01:16 PM
  5. How to disable sound "initiating starting sequence"
    By probono in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 09:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX picture

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX

$14.99



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00