Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Great boot laoder for n00bs!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    Great boot laoder for n00bs!

    I don't kow about the other n00bs out there, bt I have a consistent record of destroying my MBR when trying to set a up a dual boot. I found an almost fool proof boot loader. it's called GAG. You make a special bootable floppy and it helps you set up your MBR, and if you want you can install your boot loader to the floppy the first time around to see if it works the way you want and then install t to the MBR if you're happy with it.

    If you are even remotely paying attention and read at least 1/4th of the directions you CAN'T mess this one up. It worked perfect for me first time. It supports up to 9 opperating systems at a time, which is great. and it has a VERY friendly gui.

    It's at http://gag.sourceforge.net

    I realize that the experienced Linux user may be above this program, but it is a God-send for folks like me that have a tendancy to fubar their MBR's.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Boy I think I'm going to gag! Ok very bad joke. Seriously though this looks cool. Anyone else used this? Any downsides? It certainly looks like an easy boot management tool for HD installs of Knoppix or Morphix.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    As I said, people with a lot of experience setting up boot loaders might scoff, or maybe not, but for me, I couldn't find any downside.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2
    I'll second the endorsement of the GAG bootloader. I've been using it for about 2 months now with no problems. I'm also a newbie and was quite put off by other bootloaders like XOSL etc. that had extensive installation procedures. GAG is quite simple to setup and like the original poster states you can try it out first on a floppy disk. When I HD-install Knoppix I just answer "No" to installing LILO in the MBR. When I boot the computer, I boot into GAG (I've now installed it in my HD's MBR) first. Having setup GAG (quite easy even for a newbie like me) it displays the different OSes on the different partitions. Press 1 thru 9 for the appropriate/desired OS and GAG will boot into LILO (installed in the partitions' boot sector I assume) which then boots Knoppix on the HD.
    - Nat

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I noticed that, I don't know why it switches to lilo for loading linux, although the second time I installed it (no problems, just changed my mind about options) it no longer did that, just booted knoppix directly. As I said, there may be more efficient boat loaders, but this has got to be the worlds easiest setup. plus, since you can install it to a floppy, you can essentilaly have a backup of your MBR. If something or someone messes it up, you just toss in the floppy and it's not just a boot disk, but will reinstall a boot loader in 30 seconds.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    When you install Knoppix and select 'NO' on installing LILO to MBR it instead installs to the root directory of that partition. This is essential. I too have destroyed my MBR multiple times but it was the best way to learn I suppose .

    Of course you should ALWAYS make a boot floppy for any OS install- if nothing else at least you can still boot your OS.

    Since LILO is in the root directory of each of my Linux installs it is simply a matter of adding the pertinent info (partition and label) to my currently in use bootloader (LILO w/ the animated Morphix screen). Using this method you are actually using LILO twice, once to select which partition to boot and the second time from the root directory of that partition. I have seen and used many other boot loaders- GAG certainly does look easy and the floppy idea is brilliant IMHO.

    Thanks for the idea VeeDubb

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Thanks for the idea VeeDubb
    I figured I've leached enough support off this forum in the last week or two I had darn well better share anyhing usefull I find.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    [quote="VeeDubb
    I figured I've leached enough support off this forum in the last week or two I had darn well better share anyhing usefull I find.[/quote]

    right on

  9. #9
    Sweet, it worked for me thanks. I looked at LILO and Grub and was completely confused. This bootloader let me pop in a floppy and boot between WIN98/WIN2K/Linux

    and the cool thing was that before the bootloader I could only boot to 98, Linux and 2k were lost.

    Thanx

Similar Threads

  1. Some Great Shows...
    By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 11:34 AM
  2. Knoppix is great!
    By paulnasca in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 10:49 AM
  3. Great Design
    By thadk in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2003, 01:26 AM
  4. Cable help for n00bs!
    By Pavilion in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 06:37 AM
  5. Cable help needed for n00bs!
    By Pavilion in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 04:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$449.99



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$60.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99