-
Junior Member
registered user
sound system
I'm running knoppix 2.6 (installed on HD). I have a nforce2 motherboard (NF7-S) and my sound card is working. However, I noticed that while one program has the soundcard in use (i.e. xmms), I don't get sound from anyother source (firefox, system sounds, etc). I'm not sure what is being used (alsa, oss, etc). I looked in the 'control center' and in their 'sound system' is disabled. I tried enabling it, and xmms stops working. Any pointers on this would be appreciated.
-
Senior Member
registered user
To play sounds from more than one application you must use the sound server aRts & you will need to install the xmms-arts plugin so that xmms can use aRts also. Apt-get install xmms-arts then you have to configure xmms to use aRTs as the output plugin. This setting is in options->settings->Audio I/O Pluguins.
For KDE system sounds, enable sounds system in kde control center, then enable all system notification sounds. Then you have to edit the hidden file /home/(username)/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc & change all three settings to 'true'.
Code:
[Misc]
LastConfiguredApp=The KDE Window Manager
[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true
Why kde doesn't do this automatically when enabling system sounds is a mystery to me but it doesn't.
For konqueror plugins to play streaming audio through aRts you have to check the "'use artdsp to pipe plugin sound through arts" check box. This is located Konqueror->tools menu->configure konqueror->plugins->plugins tab.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Moderator: This is a very common question. Perhaps it should be made a sticky (in General support since it is true for running from CD also).
Similar Threads
-
By morbidpalooza in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-12-2005, 01:35 PM
-
By pluto in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-30-2005, 01:37 AM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-19-2004, 09:46 PM
-
By garyng in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-31-2003, 03:58 PM
-
By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)
$125.96

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00

Apple Mac Pro (A1186, "8Core" 2007)Xeon X5365-4GB Ram 1TB HDD OS XLeopard NVIDIA
$274.99

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Dell Optiplex 7070 8-Core i7-9700 3.0ghz 8GB DVDRW NO SSD Tower PC Computer
$169.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS
$199.99

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$189.99