Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 2 VERY STRANGE problems with hdd install that arent w/liveCD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111

    2 VERY STRANGE problems with hdd install that arent w/liveCD

    I've been an avid user of knoppix LiveCD for almost 2 years since v3.1

    However there are 2 WIERD things that only happen on my new hdd install, but not liveCD:

    1) in konsole, when I try to vi a file, it takes 20 seconds for vi to start up! However if I go to one of the 6 CONSOLE sessions (for example with ctrl-alt-2), vi starts instantly (as it does with liveCD)

    2) I cant launch X apps from a konsole session anymore, like I could in LiveCD. For example, now in my hdd install, if I type "kwrite &", the process exits with the following message:
    Code:
     kwrite: cannot connect to X server 0:0
    I have a feeling the 2 issues are related to something in my konsole environment.
    Ideas, anyone?


    [/code]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I really have no idea so I probably shouldn't even post but perhaps there is a hint here
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11608 which will get you started.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    From what I've read in this forum, you'd think xhost would be the solution, but not for me...

    typing "xhost local:" or "xhost +" (as user OR root) results in the following error message:
    Code:
     unable to open display "0:0"

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    I found a partial solution, I got vi to run without delay from konsole, by typing "export TERM=linux". I don't know why TERM=xterm caused the slow startup time.

    Still need an answer on how to start X apps from konsole tho...

Similar Threads

  1. Strange LAN Problems
    By EdT in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2006, 07:00 PM
  2. Strange problems in different variants of LINUX!
    By bhasker varma in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:51 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 11:06 PM
  4. Strange X Font problems. Please help!
    By the_isz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 12:16 PM
  5. Strange keyboard problems
    By Hans in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 Dual Xeon Gold 5215 64GB DDR4 RAM 1U Rack Server No HDD. picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 Dual Xeon Gold 5215 64GB DDR4 RAM 1U Rack Server No HDD.

$429.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99