Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Login language change

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Login language change

    After several days of tweaking Knoppix 3.6 on a mini itx mb I can not login any longer. Everything I know of is set for english. However, I installed the latest updated version of Bastille and on reboot the login prompt is in, I believe, Czech. (Definitely NOT german... the word for password is "haslo" I believe.

    I suspect the keyboard is remapped as well as my name and password no longer works. Nor does root. I've checked the lilo.conf file and the language there is "us". I thought it was supposed to be "en" for english but maybe not. The *sysconfig file is setup with lang=en, appropriate ISO style, etc.

    Also, both my user and root passwords are rather secure, ie. both use special character such as ! &^#@ etc. I even tried using the ascii control codes for those special characters but no joy.

    So, what file actually controls the boot login prompt language or alternately, can I blow off some combination of passwd files to get a default, no passwd, boot?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Login language change

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale
    After several days of tweaking Knoppix 3.6 on a mini itx mb I can not login any longer. Everything I know of is set for english. However, I installed the latest updated version of Bastille and on reboot the login prompt is in, I believe, Czech. (Definitely NOT german... the word for password is "haslo" I believe.

    I suspect the keyboard is remapped as well as my name and password no longer works. Nor does root. I've checked the lilo.conf file and the language there is "us". I thought it was supposed to be "en" for english but maybe not. The *sysconfig file is setup with lang=en, appropriate ISO style, etc.

    Also, both my user and root passwords are rather secure, ie. both use special character such as ! &^#@ etc. I even tried using the ascii control codes for those special characters but no joy.

    So, what file actually controls the boot login prompt language or alternately, can I blow off some combination of passwd files to get a default, no passwd, boot?
    There is language settings in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig but I think this script is not used if you have a Debian type hd install. The files in /etc/rcS.d are the ones which are used for startup.

    You could try to boot from CD with 'knoppix lang=us root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro' which is supposed to boot into the HD from CD, it might then start in en. Or perhaps you can start CD & chroot into your hdaX install then change the root passwd to blank or some really simple two letter word which should be typeable on any keyboard.

    Apt-get install localepurge should remove alternate language support & prevent future occurances, not sure how to disable alternate keyboards.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the info, I am just now learning what chroot actually does and you are correct, I should be able to clear things up as soon as I get home. Thanks alot .... great user name 'crashedagain'

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    I had mine set to auto-login, so you don't notice this problem....
    mine says (typing, rough)

    Uzivatelske jmeno
    Heslo
    Pnhlasit Vycistit Nabidka

    what's that about ?
    I'll try the above and see what gives.... (US vs US-En)

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264

Similar Threads

  1. Login Screen Language Problem
    By macabee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 07:39 AM
  2. cannot change language
    By plener in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 11:01 AM
  3. The login screen language
    By larsson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 09:49 PM
  4. Language Change
    By Marquis_24 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 05:28 AM
  5. Change the language of Knoppix?
    By KnopperX in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh System 7 OS Software 8 Floppy Disks Manuals Original picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh System 7 OS Software 8 Floppy Disks Manuals Original

$99.99



Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264 picture

Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264

$100.00



Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo picture

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo

$299.00



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage Apple Super Serial Interface card ll-apple ll llplus lle 670-8020-A 1981 picture

Vintage Apple Super Serial Interface card ll-apple ll llplus lle 670-8020-A 1981

$99.00



Vintage Apple Controller Card 820-0427-A Printed Circuit Board PCB Assembly picture

Vintage Apple Controller Card 820-0427-A Printed Circuit Board PCB Assembly

$47.50



Vintage Tei Inc 1977 CPU Assembly 13260 Circuit Board  picture

Vintage Tei Inc 1977 CPU Assembly 13260 Circuit Board

$145.00



Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard  picture

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard

$249.95



Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working picture

Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working

$55.55



Vintage Computer Adapter Board with Bracket picture

Vintage Computer Adapter Board with Bracket

$19.00