Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: sco xenix problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    north
    Posts
    1

    sco xenix problems

    Hi everyone,

    I am trying to recover data from a drive taken out of a SCO Openserver system. From what I can tell the drive is using the xenix file system and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to mount this drive successfully? Whenever I try to mount it with the -t xenix flag it tells me that this filesystem is not supported by the kernel is there anyway i can go about recompiling the kernel or am I going to have to go for a full install and compile xenix support into it?
    Thanks guys your help is much appreciated!

    Rob

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    I went through this several years ago.From what I could find out then,xenix
    support has been taken out of the kernel.You might be able to build an older kernel with support,but I think you'll end up having to build a system to boot it on.I gave up on it.The job didn't pay enough to justify the effort involved.
    You might be able to find the installation disks for an old distro that has xenix support enabled.You'll end up installing an obsolete system just to recover
    1 hard drive.A few years ago,a professional data recovery company quoted $500 for this service.
    If any gurus know anymore about this,I'd love to hear about it.I still have an image of this drive created with dd.
    There is a xenix usenet group that's active,but I didn't get much help there
    back then.Maybe you'll do better.There was a xenix boot disk mentioned,but I could never find a download src.
    This drive came out of an OLD system that ran xenix.I'd make sure the drive you have is actually xenix format.What does "fdisk -l" tell you?
    From what I've read,SCO Openserver supports quite a few file systems
    I assume you've tried -t auto
    Maybe -t sysv(didn't work for me though)
    Let us know how you do.
    Good Luck

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Hello Robert,

    my bet is that xenix is what the filesystem signature is shown as by linux tools (cfdisk etc), but if the drive is from an OpenServer system, it's more likey formatted as HTFS - xenix is *very* old. I don't think linux ever was able to mount these, unfortunately. Your best bet might be to try to find someone with an OpenServer system willing to mount your disk and copy its data over a network or say a FAT filesystem. SCO used to allow home users to get free evaluation copies of their OS, so if you're desperate enough, you might try to see if that is still possible and install it on a spare machine and salvage what you can yourself.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  2. ideq 200s problems and more problems
    By lesshaste in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$99.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99