Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Saving a large container from crashed WinXP to external HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8

    Saving a large container from crashed WinXP to external HD

    Hi:
    I need to copy a 4 GB container from a crashed WinXP Home system
    in a Presario LA725 laptop into an external HD thru the USB port. Knoppix boots okay with acpi=off noscsi and i have saved all smaller files with a pen drive using the USB port. However, in the case of the external HD when i try to copy the large container Knoppix complains that it cannot write to NTFS drives. I use the Captive NTFS program and it seems to run okay but when i mount the external HD (called htds1 IIRC) and then try to make it writtable it complains again that it cannot write to NTFS drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tito

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110
    I have had difficulties writing to large NTFS files, even if they exist at that size. I would write it off to an ext2 filesystem. There is a drive which can be installed to read ext2 f/s in Windows. I can vouch it works in win2K, I don't know if it works in XP

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Prehaps useing qtparted and makeing a fat32 partition on the drive?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will try them if i can't simply copy the container to thed external HD.
    I did the process again. I run Captive NTFS. It found the drivers. When it
    finished i remounted the external HD (partition sda1) and when in Actions i try
    to make it writtable Knoppix reports an error: "The remount command
    failed. Maybe there is another the process accessing the file system
    currently".
    It looks like i am missing some simple step in the process.
    Any help very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tito

Similar Threads

  1. KDE crashed after upgrade
    By lotech in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 12:46 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 02:16 AM
  3. Splitting large files into external FAT32 HD
    By Tito in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. CrashedAgain crashed yet again
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:56 PM
  5. Crashed HDD - Bad sector 64 - Please help!
    By Andyİ in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



*BENT PINS* ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi LGA 1700 ATX Intel Motherboard picture

*BENT PINS* ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi LGA 1700 ATX Intel Motherboard

$37.98



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield picture

ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield

$60.00



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45