-
Saving a large container from crashed WinXP to external HD
Hi:
I need to copy a 4 GB container from a crashed WinXP Home system
in a Presario LA725 laptop into an external HD thru the USB port. Knoppix boots okay with acpi=off noscsi and i have saved all smaller files with a pen drive using the USB port. However, in the case of the external HD when i try to copy the large container Knoppix complains that it cannot write to NTFS drives. I use the Captive NTFS program and it seems to run okay but when i mount the external HD (called htds1 IIRC) and then try to make it writtable it complains again that it cannot write to NTFS drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tito
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have had difficulties writing to large NTFS files, even if they exist at that size. I would write it off to an ext2 filesystem. There is a drive which can be installed to read ext2 f/s in Windows. I can vouch it works in win2K, I don't know if it works in XP
-
Senior Member
registered user
Prehaps useing qtparted and makeing a fat32 partition on the drive?
-
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try them if i can't simply copy the container to thed external HD.
I did the process again. I run Captive NTFS. It found the drivers. When it
finished i remounted the external HD (partition sda1) and when in Actions i try
to make it writtable Knoppix reports an error: "The remount command
failed. Maybe there is another the process accessing the file system
currently".
It looks like i am missing some simple step in the process.
Any help very much appreciated.
Thanks
Tito
Similar Threads
-
By lotech in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-06-2005, 12:46 PM
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-16-2004, 02:16 AM
-
By Tito in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
-
By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:56 PM
-
By AndyŠ in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

HP Z840 44 Core Workstation 2x Xeon E5-2699 v4 - No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$594.97

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48

Intel Xeon W-3245 3.2ghz 16-Core CPU OEM - 2019 Mac Pro 7,1
$395.95

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99