Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: XF86config and knoppix on my hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1

    XF86config and knoppix on my hard drive

    I've hit just one snag since installing knoppix on my hard disk, and I suspect it's because Knoppix autoconfigures xf86. My monitor is a little quirky and has a range of refresh rates different enough that I have to specify them myself. I've tried running XF86Config and I've tried editing the files manually, but everytime I restart the files are reverted to their default state. It's not a huge problem as the default refresh rate works at 1024x768, but I would enjoy being able to change resolutions any ideas?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    96
    Try configuring with XF86cfg. It will launch a GUI config tool that I sometimes find easier to use when I'm having trouble with X.[/url]

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: XF86config and knoppix on my hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by maxer
    I've hit just one snag since installing knoppix on my hard disk, and I suspect it's because Knoppix autoconfigures xf86. My monitor is a little quirky and has a range of refresh rates different enough that I have to specify them myself. I've tried running XF86Config and I've tried editing the files manually, but everytime I restart the files are reverted to their default state. It's not a huge problem as the default refresh rate works at 1024x768, but I would enjoy being able to change resolutions any ideas?
    Knoppix rewrites XF86Config-4 but I thought it only created a new Xf86Config-4 if it couldn't find an existing one. Anyway, it bases it's rewrite on XF86Config-4.in so if you edit this file as well it should incorporate your settings.
    I'm assuming you have a HD install an not a 'poormans' install. If it's a poormans install, you will have to create a persisitent home & also save your configuration specifying 'save /etc files also'.

Similar Threads

  1. network in knoppix (in hard drive)
    By plazzmex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-19-2006, 11:41 AM
  2. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  5. knoppix & USB hard drive
    By knoxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93