Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: some questions on using knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13

    some questions on using knoppix

    I'm using knoppix 3.6. I have following questions

    by default account knoppix is the default account and will login automatically, how do I use another new created account ?

    any settings e.g. dekstop settings, new account creation, etc changed will be lost after reboot, how do I keep these things permanent ? (fyi I always plug in an external usb hdd for my files storage, so how to save mentioned settings in the external usb hdd ?)

    What's the purpose of "permanent home ....." ? If I execute it, what does it do in the background? e.g. partition a hdd ? or something else

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: some questions on using knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by adrianmak
    I'm using knoppix 3.6. I have following questions

    by default account knoppix is the default account and will login automatically, how do I use another new created account ?

    any settings e.g. dekstop settings, new account creation, etc changed will be lost after reboot, how do I keep these things permanent ? (fyi I always plug in an external usb hdd for my files storage, so how to save mentioned settings in the external usb hdd ?)

    What's the purpose of "permanent home ....." ? If I execute it, what does it do in the background? e.g. partition a hdd ? or something else
    persistant home saves your /home directory somewhere to boot up to later. It will save almost all the settings and is very useful.

    Stuff like printers need a saved config (I save the persistant home and config on the same drive.) The options are both in the knoppix menu.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13
    as you said that persisent home save /home permenant to somewhere e.g. hdd, usb flash,etc
    how about if I modify a config file under /etc , how do I keep it permanent ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    remaster is a safe bet. should work 100%

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    remaster is a safe bet. should work 100%
    do you mean that the "permanent home" is only save personal settings like desktop settings for other settings like adding new user , modified config file under /etc , to keep permanent I need to remaster the iso, right ?

    there is no way to load these config during boot up, right ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    some but not all /etc files can likely be saved (fstab, pppconf...and some other).
    i do not know which, but files needed high in the init is not possible, you need to have a system to load the nonstandard ones so...

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    31
    have a look in knoppix.sh

    (saveconfig coppy this on same partition wher you saved your config)

    un ather way shout works untar the archife and addit your change of /etc

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 4.0.2 Questions
    By Vyper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 11:05 PM
  2. New to Knoppix...have some questions
    By quicksilver1024 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 09:50 AM
  3. knoppix questions
    By boxoman in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 04:21 PM
  4. Few Questions about Knoppix
    By |2yan in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 07:49 AM
  5. New to Knoppix some questions
    By Jorah in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 05:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72