Ladies and gents,
I have found a solution to hanging lilo systems:
L 99 99 99 99 etc.
It is herehttp://linuxathome.com/index.php?p=85
For convenience I've copied the steps here below, in case of broken links. Many thanks go to the original author of the piece.
1. Booted my trusty Knoppix Live Linux CD.
2. Once booted up and ready to go, I fired up a shell (using Konsole, but RXVT, or xterm will do just fine).
3. Made sure I?m root with a 'sudo su'
4. Mounted the root partition of my desktop. E.g. 'mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1'
In my case, I had a separate partition for the boot directory, so I also mounted that. But the boot dir of your desktop should be in the root partition.
5. Removed the boot directory of the Knoppix Live Linux CD. don 't worry, it's a symbolic link to '/KNOPPIX/boot' and you don't really delete anything. It is a read-only CD after all, nothing is ruined. The command was 'rm -rf /boot'
6. I then created a symbolic link to the boot dir of my desktop, rather than to the boot dir of the live linux CD. E.g. 'ln -s /mnt/hda1/boot /boot'
7. I changed into the /etc directory of my desktop. E.g. 'cd /mnt/hda1/etc'
8. Ran lilo on the lilo.conf file located at that dir. E.g. 'lilo -C ./lilo.conf'
9. Unmounted all partitions. E.g. 'umount /mnt/hda1'
10. Shutdown and rebooted the system. All should be well after that.

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95