-
lilo hanging : the solution
Ladies and gents,
I have found a solution to hanging lilo systems:
L 99 99 99 99 etc.
It is herehttp://linuxathome.com/index.php?p=85
For convenience I've copied the steps here below, in case of broken links. Many thanks go to the original author of the piece.
1. Booted my trusty Knoppix Live Linux CD.
2. Once booted up and ready to go, I fired up a shell (using Konsole, but RXVT, or xterm will do just fine).
3. Made sure I?m root with a 'sudo su'
4. Mounted the root partition of my desktop. E.g. 'mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1'
In my case, I had a separate partition for the boot directory, so I also mounted that. But the boot dir of your desktop should be in the root partition.
5. Removed the boot directory of the Knoppix Live Linux CD. don 't worry, it's a symbolic link to '/KNOPPIX/boot' and you don't really delete anything. It is a read-only CD after all, nothing is ruined. The command was 'rm -rf /boot'
6. I then created a symbolic link to the boot dir of my desktop, rather than to the boot dir of the live linux CD. E.g. 'ln -s /mnt/hda1/boot /boot'
7. I changed into the /etc directory of my desktop. E.g. 'cd /mnt/hda1/etc'
8. Ran lilo on the lilo.conf file located at that dir. E.g. 'lilo -C ./lilo.conf'
9. Unmounted all partitions. E.g. 'umount /mnt/hda1'
10. Shutdown and rebooted the system. All should be well after that.
Similar Threads
-
By ecop77 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-28-2005, 10:24 PM
-
By mmelzer2004 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 02:28 AM
-
By dave123 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-04-2005, 08:42 PM
-
By bobalex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:27 AM
-
By robk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

OWC Express 4M2 4x M.2 NVMe RAID Enclosure Aluminum w/ SoftRAID
$199.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00