-
Junior Member
registered user
Remote desktop?
Hi,
I'm trying to remotely access someone's system in order to save their files, but they are on a different continent! I am getting them a copy of Knoppix 3.6 in the mail, but what is the easiest method of connecting to their desktop from mine, across the Internet?
Note: They know absolutely nothing about Linux. If I could get them connected to their ISP, I could just tell them to type 'sambastart' at a root shell, and I'd be able to at least see their files and copy small ones. But I also want to have them put a blank CD in their CD burner and be able to burn their files onto it using k3b (without having to copy the files to me 1st over their dial-up line). Is there something as easy as telling them to type 'sambastart' in order to have them configure desktop sharing? (And by the way, what would I do on my machine to connect after that?)
Thanks,
Yonatan
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Remote desktop?

Originally Posted by
yonatan
I'm trying to remotely access someone's system in order to save their files, but they are on a different continent! I am getting them a copy of Knoppix 3.6 in the mail, but what is the easiest method of connecting to their desktop from mine, across the Internet?....
Since you're not going to be transfering much data over tht dial-up link, you might want to consider something like VNC. They could run the server, you could run a VNC client. You would have remote control of their system. You could remote type information to them and they could type back, or if they have another phone line or a cell phone you might want to do more detailed things (or things involved in booting,or rebooting) that way.
-
Senior Member
registered user
ssh can forward X,
and there is another remote client/server set in knoppix do not remember name just now.
but if you drop X the comandline can be used with cdrecord and mkisofs and so you are quite safe there.
several links below on subject ssh
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8739
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12327
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9062
edited script from posting above
Code:
ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key; ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key; ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key; sshd; passwd knoppix
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8855
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9112
and in konqueror the comand
fish://ipt.ore.mot,cpu/home/directory alows you to use konqueror to do filemanagement in graphical environment for the directory /home/directory. ipt.ore.mot.cpu is the ip they have so...
-
Junior Member
registered user
And what about FreeNX?
Is VNC not included in Knoppix 3.6?
And what about FreeNX?
http://www.tinyapps.org/freenx/
This seems like the most easiest solution. From what is described, you just start the server, add a user, and then the client can connect.
Thanks,
Yonatan
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: And what about FreeNX?

Originally Posted by
yonatan
From what is described, you just start the server, add a user, and then the client can connect.
Well, it's going to be a little more complicated than that, considering the user is on dial-up. You're also going to have to get them to get their dial-up connecting running under Knoppix. I hope they have a "normal" modem and not a winmodem.
As to VNC being on Knoppix. It was the last time I looked for it and ran. I never saw mention it was removed. I could go boot a Knoppix CD and confirm this, but then again, so could have you rather than asking.
Similar Threads
-
By nuklear in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 02-03-2005, 04:31 AM
-
By roc in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-01-2004, 06:49 PM
-
By RigorMortis in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-16-2004, 03:38 AM
-
By usb1 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-21-2004, 02:23 AM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB SAS 12Gb ST4000NM0025 7200 512n 3.5 HDD
$48.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Toshiba MG03ACA400 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise HDD (V6313)
$61.56

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95