Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix halts checking for USB

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix halts checking for USB

    I lost a desktop computer in a terrible lightning strike. Adding insult to injury, my laptop, which was not even plugged in, got zapped, too. It was fierce – lightbulbs burst out of the fixtures and all. It was a direct hit – my neighbor’s tree got toasted. But anyway, I digress.

    My laptop, on which I’ve got tons of business invoices and pictures (I’m a photographer) now halts at agp440.sys on boot in Windows safe mode. After pulling my hair out for the last 6 months trying to solve the agp440.sys problem, I read about Knoppix.

    Thought it might be a promising alternative, so I downloaded it and am trying it for the first time. The .iso burn went great, and I have a working bootable Knoppix. On the laptop (a.k.a. “zaptop”), it hangs up on “Checking for USB…”

    I tried disabling USB legacy support in BIOS, then enabling it, and still it hangs on USB. Lord, I don’t need USB!! All I want to do is get one last crack at that HDD to get the invoices and event photos off it… I’ve already written the laptop off as a gonner (bought a new computer – the one I’m typing this on).

    If you can shed some light (eww, no pun intended) on my situation, I'd appreciate it. Is there some way I can disable USB in Knoppix? If you answer, please talk to me like I'm a moron, because my experience w/Linux is the 5 minutes I spent making this CD (which is very cool, by the way).

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Easy. Simply use a cheatcode at the boot prompt:

    nousb

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok
    By p.lavarre in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:56 PM
  2. custom knoppix halts at creating directories on ramdisk
    By coladicooka in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 02:10 AM
  3. System halts on USB keychain drive insertion
    By richter in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 10:10 PM
  4. Checking the Knoppix ISO download
    By georgetoon in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 07:24 AM
  5. System halts after loading miniroot.gz
    By thanos in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 01:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59