Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cannot boot from CD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    Cannot boot from CD

    I am new to Linux and I tried to load Knoppix cd on my laptop and received a message a bootup:

    Does not support mode and that I will be put in a limited shell mode.

    Any ideas? I have a sony vaio pcg-r505gcp, winxp pro, 256ram, 30gb hdd

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    Once the boot starts it reads as follows:

    You passed an undefined mode number.
    Press <RETURN> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue or wait 30 secs

    Video adapter: VESA VGA
    Mode: COLSxROWS:

    then list modes

    Any ideas?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    I'm sorry

    After I hit enter

    It reads as follows:

    Uncompressing Linux... OK, gooting the kernel.

    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    try booting with:

    knoppix vga=normal

    rock

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4
    I've done all that you recommended and the same thing keeps happening.

    Any help?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjaya
    I'm sorry

    After I hit enter

    It reads as follows:

    Uncompressing Linux... OK, gooting the kernel.

    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
    Press reset button to quit.
    At the boot: type: knoppix testcd

    If you get any errors, it means that you have a bad burn of the disc. This is what I believe to be the problem.

    Try burning it again but at a much slower setting. So that my knoppix CDs work with most systems, I burn them in the 8 to 12 speed range.

    Knoppix is very susceptible to errors introduced during the burning process, so make sure to exit all other programs and turn off virus scanning before burning. These, paranoid, steps should help.

    Good Luck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Microsoft TechNet Plus CD Subscription COMPLETE LOT Binder Case & Discs picture

Vintage Microsoft TechNet Plus CD Subscription COMPLETE LOT Binder Case & Discs

$59.98



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Intel Pentium Pro CPU Lot 3 Gold Ceramic Processors + 2 RAM Untested picture

Vintage Intel Pentium Pro CPU Lot 3 Gold Ceramic Processors + 2 RAM Untested

$249.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Socket 5 Motherboard Intel Pentium 120MHz A80502-120 AT ISA PCI Tested picture

Vintage Socket 5 Motherboard Intel Pentium 120MHz A80502-120 AT ISA PCI Tested

$119.99



Rainbow Apple Logo Travel Bag Computer Carrying Case Black Vintage picture

Rainbow Apple Logo Travel Bag Computer Carrying Case Black Vintage

$250.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37