Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Boot other window manager when KDE is removed (3.6 remaster)

  1. #1

    Boot other window manager when KDE is removed (3.6 remaster)

    Ok, first off I have followed the instructions:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...867&highlight=

    Awsum!
    Always get a working CDR

    But here is my question, in the past I would use knoppix-customize on the standard iso image
    to change the default boot setings etc. I need to to this since I ( like others ) wiped out KDE compleatly. I would like to have it boot to XFCE by default. I would also like to change the boot graphic and options ( so that only XFCE, Icewm and Fluxbox are shown )

    Everytime I try to use knoppix-customize I get the following error:
    No emulation (can't handle this)
    Error reading image. Aborting

    So, what am I doing wrong, or how can I change what I need to change?
    I can't seem to find how this is done at the 3.6/3.7 level ( seems to work at > 3.2 )
    Any ideas or where I can find the info?


  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: knoppix-customize on 3.6 remaster

    Quote Originally Posted by GnuJoe
    Ok, first off I have followed the instructions:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...867&highlight=

    Awsum!
    Always get a working CDR

    But here is my question, in the past I would use knoppix-customize on the standard iso image
    to change the default boot setings etc. I need to to this since I ( like others ) wiped out KDE compleatly. I would like to have it boot to XFCE by default. I would also like to change the boot graphic and options ( so that only XFCE, Icewm and Fluxbox are shown )

    Everytime I try to use knoppix-customize I get the following error:
    No emulation (can't handle this)
    Error reading image. Aborting

    So, what am I doing wrong, or how can I change what I need to change?
    I can't seem to find how this is done at the 3.6/3.7 level ( seems to work at > 3.2 )
    Any ideas or where I can find the info?

    I'm not overly familiar with the Knoppix disc and what boot images it uses to boot but AFAIK the script knoppix-customize will not work with Knoppix any longer. You can set the default wm in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession.

    BTW I presume you used the xfce4 debs from http://xfld.org/Xfld/en/index.html

  3. #3

    Remaster, how not to boot into KDE

    First off thanks for the quick reply!

    I had discovered the /boot dir on the CDR and that is were all the files are that I would need to touch for a custom startup.
    But....
    I changed /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and it's still trying to start KDE.
    So I'm hunting around for any info on how to get the disk to boot ( by default ) into XFCE. ( and yes I used the "http://xfld.org/Xfld/en/index.html" set.

    So my main problem is that since KDE is no longer on the CD, it fails with "can't do kinit". If anyone know how this is done, please tell me where to look, I know the info is out there someware.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Edit /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to look something like so @ line 460:
    Code:
    case "$DESKTOP" in xfce4|icewm|twm|nx|rdp|kiosk) ;; *) DESKTOP="xfce4"; ;; esac
    This *does* work.

Similar Threads

  1. How to integrate new window-manager?
    By veuf in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 02:12 PM
  2. clean boot into window manager
    By John in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 02:25 AM
  3. task manager removed from knoppix 3.3 ?
    By electronicjason in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 10:19 AM
  4. What should I use for my Window Manager?
    By e7eMeNt in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 03:02 AM
  5. change window manager
    By neotheonlyone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor

$55.99