-
Senior Member
registered user
rut roh...top says 3 users?
Hey folks, posting here because this is about an ill-fated Fedora Core 2 install on my spare linux partition. (see other post here in lounge).
I had a lot of problems with the installer and though I saw my friend run through an install it was on a RedHat server. Anyhow, with the freezes and such I decided to run top when I hit the desktop to see maybe if there was something zonking out and eating memory, whatever. Top shows 3 (THREE?) users. Methinks this bad?
I don't have a sw firewall configured. The anaconda installer is an ugly piece of work for the firewall config and I let it go with none and thought I could wait until later and use like guarddog to configure the iptables (not much success in installing pkgs on FC). I am behind a router. Any ideas of what I could try to see where top is getting such an idea? A lot of commands I am used to using are missing from that installation. Shoot, I am over my head with that distro. Thoughts?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Not sure if these are valid commands, in that install, they were reported in a Sys Admin book I have, it says it was for, mostly RedHat, but, I found them to exist in Debian - maybe they are "common" Linux commands 
This will get you a textual, scroll display, like top, but one-shot EVERYTHING
ps -auxw
This will get you who, and what, is connected or established, in ports
netstat -natu
This will get you what your "portmapper" is showing
rpcinfo -p
Lastly, this was given to me, comes in handy, all users logged in
users
Hope this helps,
-
Senior Member
registered user
okie
ps -auxw, looks like I am up to four its counting rpc and rpcuser. Never saw that in kanotix. Has to be a configuration thing - what did I leave out/put into this thing?
netstat -au is "command not found" as is netstat, modprobe, iptables -L, lsmod, lspci...about half of the commands in my limited repetoire don't seem to exist here
rpcinfo -p, yeppers MIA
users = nish, nish, nish? Me me me. Okie. Little, yellow, different. I have a headache
My attempt at getting the iptables configured with firestarter (guarddog isn't available to me, but hey, any port in a storm) may have shutdown my port 25 because I can't get any email out of here anymore.
If nothing else, this had made me appreciate debian so much more! LOL I just brought my kanotix back from a bloody mess (yes, good ol apt and updating/upgrading-we know it so well, Cuddles. A warped copendency on the thing) so I have one victory and above, what I believe is a total loss in fedora running LOL
Similar Threads
-
By slugworth in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:46 AM
-
By frantek in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 12:18 AM
-
By Lucia in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:11 AM
-
By echelon in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-04-2004, 06:42 PM
-
By waynejkruse10 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop
$32.99