Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: rut roh...top says 3 users?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276

    rut roh...top says 3 users?

    Hey folks, posting here because this is about an ill-fated Fedora Core 2 install on my spare linux partition. (see other post here in lounge).

    I had a lot of problems with the installer and though I saw my friend run through an install it was on a RedHat server. Anyhow, with the freezes and such I decided to run top when I hit the desktop to see maybe if there was something zonking out and eating memory, whatever. Top shows 3 (THREE?) users. Methinks this bad?

    I don't have a sw firewall configured. The anaconda installer is an ugly piece of work for the firewall config and I let it go with none and thought I could wait until later and use like guarddog to configure the iptables (not much success in installing pkgs on FC). I am behind a router. Any ideas of what I could try to see where top is getting such an idea? A lot of commands I am used to using are missing from that installation. Shoot, I am over my head with that distro. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Not sure if these are valid commands, in that install, they were reported in a Sys Admin book I have, it says it was for, mostly RedHat, but, I found them to exist in Debian - maybe they are "common" Linux commands

    This will get you a textual, scroll display, like top, but one-shot EVERYTHING
    ps -auxw

    This will get you who, and what, is connected or established, in ports
    netstat -natu

    This will get you what your "portmapper" is showing
    rpcinfo -p

    Lastly, this was given to me, comes in handy, all users logged in
    users

    Hope this helps,

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    okie
    ps -auxw, looks like I am up to four its counting rpc and rpcuser. Never saw that in kanotix. Has to be a configuration thing - what did I leave out/put into this thing?

    netstat -au is "command not found" as is netstat, modprobe, iptables -L, lsmod, lspci...about half of the commands in my limited repetoire don't seem to exist here

    rpcinfo -p, yeppers MIA

    users = nish, nish, nish? Me me me. Okie. Little, yellow, different. I have a headache

    My attempt at getting the iptables configured with firestarter (guarddog isn't available to me, but hey, any port in a storm) may have shutdown my port 25 because I can't get any email out of here anymore.

    If nothing else, this had made me appreciate debian so much more! LOL I just brought my kanotix back from a bloody mess (yes, good ol apt and updating/upgrading-we know it so well, Cuddles. A warped copendency on the thing) so I have one victory and above, what I believe is a total loss in fedora running LOL

Similar Threads

  1. Making new users.
    By slugworth in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 02:46 AM
  2. when, where and how is the knoppix users set up
    By frantek in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 12:18 AM
  3. Tip for Windows XP users
    By Lucia in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 12:11 AM
  4. can't add new users
    By echelon in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 06:42 PM
  5. users
    By waynejkruse10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used picture

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used

$220.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00